Remote Lights-Out Mgmt (iLO 2, iLO, RILOE II) Forum
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ML110 G5 Lights out port forwarding

Occasional Advisor

ML110 G5 Lights out port forwarding

Hi All, I have a Proliant ML110 with a Lights out kit, I am having difficulties accessing Lights Out over the internet.
Can somebody shed some light on what port to open up on the modem/router.

Any help would be much appriciated.
Thanks.
13 REPLIES

Re: ML110 G5 Lights out port forwarding

Hi Samar,

80 should do for the regular web interface. Additionally, I am forwarding 23, 443, 623, 664, and 5900-5909.
Within the LAN everything works great, when I login from the internet, remote desktop keeps giving me a java applet timeout error.
This is with a ProLiant ML115 G5.

Has anybody been able to use the remote desktop feature (Virtual KVM/Media) successfully from the internet? Am I missing a port?

I checked out the ports forwarded for for Lights Out menu in webbrowser or separate remote desktop applet):

Just 80 is enough!
Occasional Advisor

Hi Florian Schott, thanks to you help i was able to connect to the Webinterface over the internet. But now I cant seem to get the virtual KVM/Media working over the internet, I can access virtual KVM/Media on the LAN but not over the internet. I know you have got it working but i believe the instructions you have posted are for a MAC and I am having difficulties converting the instructions for a PC/IE or Firefox.
Any help would be much appriciated.
Thanks mate.

Hi Samar,

in my instructions, only the paths are mac specific. On windows just make sure java is installed and find the cache folder - probably somewhere within application data/appdata. Or search for *.idx including hidden folders. It should work just fine.

If this is not working out for you, try the applet I attached to my instructions.

It's interesting to learn that you are experiencing exactly the same problem - virtual KVM/Media working fine within LAN, but not over the internet. So it is definitely a bug in the HP java applet and has nothing to do with platform, browser, firewall, security software, or locale. My guess: It has to do with wrong login parameters being sent from the applet to the ilo card.

HP, is anybody reading this? Can you comment on this?

Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help. Ill try this and let you know how it goes. Besides do you think its a firewall issue?
Occasional Advisor

Just an update, Now i cant even get the Virtual KVM on the Lan either.
Also i still can not understand the instructions on how to edit the applet that you have put up. As in what to do with it once i have downloaded it and put it in the cache folder.
Again any help would be appriciated.

Samar,

you don't have to edit it in any way. Just save it to your preferred place and doubleclick it.

In the window popping up enter server ip, LO card user name and password and enjoy.

Florian

... to be more specific: server ip = WAN ip of the router (that is forwarding port 80 to the local ip of the LO card).
Occasional Advisor

sorry to be a pain. now I can access the web page interface to the Lights out via WAN, but still KVM/Virtual media is not working.
The web page can be accessed which means that the router is forwarding the ports all ok.
any other ideas. in fact I will upload the error message while using the applet soon.
thanks.

Samar, I think you are mixing something up. As KVM/Virtual media withing the web interface does not work (at least over the internet), the work around is to start the java applet not within the web interface but as a STAND ALONE APPLICATION just like word or notepad or paint with a double click directly on the applet. Firefox, IE, or any other web browser are not needed. In other words: Download my applet to the desktop and doubleclick it there. That's it!
Occasional Advisor

Hi Florian, Just wanted to thank you for your help. It works, is dead slow is very tempramental. for example sometime the virtual media works sometime doesnt.
Also I was thinking if i were to setup a webserver with Lights Out, and the web server being on port 80. is there way to change the listening port of the Lightsout card?

Have a great day mate.

Samar, Virtual KVM is dead slow, isn't it?
The lights-out card can be configured in bios and in its own web interface. Not sure if/where the access port can be changed.

Usually the lights-out card has a static ip address and the server nic has a different one. So you can swap the destination ip address for port 80 in the router depending where you want to be forwarded.

In an html server environment using port 80 where this might not be an option you can always remote control the server using vnc (e.g. ultravnc). Its standard port is 5900 but you can change it to any you please. And ultravnc is much quicker and more comfortable than Virtual KVM.

Hope this helps, Florian