Server Management - Remote Server Management
1748119 Members
3298 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Power Executive Power Measurement

DJenkins

Power Executive Power Measurement

What is the HW interface/bus/architecture that Power Executive uses to sample and report power consumption.
5 REPLIES 5
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

what product you talking about and what is Power Executive ?
DJenkins

Sorry. I meant Power Regulator - I was looking at competitive offerings and incorrectly submitted the question about Executive.
M.S.Srivatsa
Valued Contributor

iLO will retrieve the Processor p-state information needed for power regulator feature from system ROM via shared memory.
DJenkins

Thanks. I am looking for information on what specific hardware and sw interface allows power to be measured. Is the hw on the baseboard? Power supply?
acartes
Honored Contributor

Power Regulator for ProLiant is available in many current ProLiant systems (check the system for specifics):

FYI, there is a whitepaper titled "Power Regulator for ProLiant Servers" here:
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/technology/whitepapers/datacenter.html

"Power Executive Power Management" is an IBM term, I believe. I assume you are referring to the HP ProLiant power regulator technology. There are a few dimensions to this:

I) Configuration: This allows you to configure how the system will govern processor power states. It can depend on the OS and the CPU and the hardware.

II) Processor State Monitoring: Allows iLO to periodically poll the system processors p-state and display any changes over time. This requires an iLO license. As systems become idle, they can down-shift to lower p-states, for example.

III) Power Meter Readings. Supported systems include a device in the power subsystem that monitors input power. An instantaneous reading is available under the Power tab of the System Information page of supported iLO 2 systems. This information is relayed to iLO where it is accumulated and graphed. The data has been calibrated and adjusted (read: look-up-table) to accurately measure power inflow as compared to an external in-line power monitor. Graphing requires an iLO license.

IV) Blades: Blade servers have a separate enclosure management processor that is responsible for tracking power consumption within a topology.