5472 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Preconfigure iLo firmware update

Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Preconfigure iLo firmware update

Hello,

I'm trying to put together a scripted installation for numerous OSes, and one of the requirements is that I update iLo's firmware prior to any OS being installed on each Blade. I havn't the faintest how I would configure / implement this.

Is there a command line execution or batch file that could be scripted or a remote push of the firmware?

Any help iPrintable version

s most appreciated.

-Aaron
23 REPLIES 23
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Aaron,
If you download the Firmware Maintenance CD, you can use the HPSUM utility to remotely update the iLO firmware. It is located in the \compaq\swpackages directory. Run HPSUM, select a remote installation and enter the IP address (and when prompted, the credentials) for the target iLO. Please be sure to use Firmware CD 8.30 or later to have this ability. The link to the latest Firmware CD is at:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3546421&prodNameId=3687290&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-73c82be98b5f4eb3ac4b72c2e3

Regards,
Michael
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

Thank you Michael,

I know that HPSUM, can be initiated on the command line using startc.exe. If there a particular formating I could use to initialize the iLo firmware update on it's own to the target system?

I'm trying to re-build a dozen Altiris OS deployments, as the previous versions seemed to have been missing their ntldr... kind of important. Haha.

I'm hoping I can identify the remote PC based on it's DNS name, and in turn, use a variable in my script to ensure it always points to the system to which the job has been issued?

Answers to any of the above are much appreciated, I know I started to ramble a bit.

Thank you for your time and help,

-Aaron
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Aaron,
You can use the /target: for setupc. If you want to do multiple targets on the console by scripting it, you must use HPSUM directly. Just pass multiple /target IP_Address|DNS Name and HPSUM will take care of going to multiple targets. Underneath, setupc just calls HPSUM anyway. To script multiple iLOs, just do the following:

hpsum /s /target target1 /target target2 /target target3

You must use the /s to get HPSUM to run in silent mode.

Regards,
Michael
Aaron.S
Frequent Advisor

So in running that, it will realize/ignore the fact that there is no opperating system on which to install drivers, and will solely concern it's self with updating all firmware components?
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

That is correct. HPSUM would communicate with the NIC port on the iLO directly without a need to actually communicate with the target server itself. The IP address you pass must be the iLO NIC port's IP address to get this feature to work. This feature was added to the Firmware CD 8.30 and HPSUM 3.4.0 and later.
lightxx
Frequent Advisor

sorry to bring up this thread from the past, but i've downloaded the latest Firmware Maintenance CD (8.50), and whatever i try HPSUM won't detect ILO 2s, only first gen ILOs, and gives me a "not compliant" error when i try to update an ILO 2.
also, when i try to update HPSUM via FTP it crashes at 99% with a fatal error. tried that on 3 different servers now (2k8 x64, 2k3 x64, 2k3 x32) with the same result.

any ideas?

thanks,
Tom
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Thomas,
A bad catalog that HPSUM uses was published late Monday and will cause HPSUM to fail if pulling updates from the web at 99% as you have stated. An updated catalog was built and is in the process of being released. It should be available in the next 12-18 hours depending on how long it takes to propagate across all the HP servers.

I'll need more information about the type of server you are seeing the iLo2 error on and more information about where you see the "non-compliant" message.

Regards,
Michael
lightxx
Frequent Advisor

Michael, thank you very much for your quick reply.

i tried to update various ILO-2s (all of them being version 1.70) on a number of different servers (mostly DL380 G5s & BL460s), and on every server i tried HPSUM suggested that the latest version was 1.90 (this is true for ILO1), but refused to apply the update (sure enough, as it should apply the ILO-2 1.77 update).

thanks,
Tom
lightxx
Frequent Advisor

just to clear things up, i was running HPSUM on a DL380 G4, but tried to update ILO-2 remotely with different /target: (i also tried supplying different hostnames / IPs in the GUI), and always ended up with 1.90 as the latest available firmware and the not compliant or not compatible (i'm not in the office now) message ...