1748347 Members
5019 Online
108762 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

RIB in non-HP server

Christian Tramnitz

RIB in non-HP server

Hello,

I have a RIB board (LOE1) that I'm using in a non-HP server. I would also like to use the virtual power button or at least the remote reboot feature.
1. Is the remote reboot feature dependent on the internal power cable used for the virtual power button or does it just send a Ctrl+Alt+Del to the keyboard port or how does it work?
2. Is there a PIN layout of either J12 or J11 so that I can work something out for the power switch i.e. going to the motherboard connector?

Thanks and best regards,
Christian
6 REPLIES 6
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Re: RIB in non-HP server

Christian Tramnitz

Hello,

saw comments like these before, but you surely agree that this 4 or 16 pin connection is no rocket science.

On the other hand there is still the difference between power cycle and the virtual power button...

Best regards,
Christian
Christian Tramnitz

I found the solution!

In case someone else is interested:
You can use J12 (4 header):
- shortcut pins 1&4 (that way it detects the virtual power button as "connected")
- use pin 2&3 to connect to the motherboard's ATX power button (or even reset switch) header

I'm using it on the reset switch because I don't want to use the external power supply...

Credit goes to:
http://www.paul.sladen.org/lights-out/riloe.html

Best regards,
Christian
MLML
Occasional Contributor

Does it work without external power supply? I have the same card and am about to put it to non-HP box as well but I fear once the iLO shuts down the power it won't have enough energy to switch it on again. Haven't yet tried though. Any experience?
Christian Tramnitz

That's why I'm using the reset pins on the motherboard and not the powerswitch.

If you really need to power down the server (and power up later) then you need the external power supply.

Best regards,
Christian
MLML
Occasional Contributor

Right, indeed. I somehow managed to skip over the part about reset pins in your previous post :-( Should read twice next time ;-)