5067 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: RILOE vs RILOE II

Dan Moore_3
Occasional Advisor

RILOE vs RILOE II

Greetings,

While there is a similarly named thread already (http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=534540), what I'm looking for is info about which to buy.

I currently have one RILOE II and have been very happy with it, and need to get another RILOE for a second server. The only things I need from it are the virtual floppy, force power cycle, and java remote console. Both machines are G1 DL380s, so I won't miss the USB functionality. Is there anything else that is missing from the RILOE II in the RILOE?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

RILOE has been out of production for a long time, so you'll be limited to used ones unless you find a "NRFB" one on eBay.

For what you're looking for, the biggest difference is going to be the performance of the graphical remote console. The RILOE was based on an i960 at 66MHz and RILOE II uses a PowerPC processor at 200MHz.

Some assorted features RILOE II has:

- supports access to Emergency Management Console in Windows 2003
- support for Mozilla/Netscape browsers
- support for Pocket Internet Explorer
Dan Moore_3
Occasional Advisor

Yes, I'm looking at purchasing it non-retail (probably eBay).

I won't be running Windows on the server, nor Pocket Internet Explorer, so those two don't affect me. The middle one does affect me - does RILOE (even with newest firmware) not work with Mozilla at all?

Thanks for the note about the processor, I had forgotten that. This will be used as a backup server, so I'm not worried about speed, just functionality.

I have no doubt that the RILOE II is much better than the other, but as long as the RILOE is still secure, would allow me to use remote console, allow for remote virtual floppy, and work with Linux on the DL380, I might as well go with that.

Thanks!