New Discussion

Re: Server 2012 Gen8 - User profile service failed the logon

SOLVED
Go to solution
JADEComputer
Occasional Collector

Server 2012 Gen8 - User profile service failed the logon

Hello All,

I was recently asked to help resolve a logon issue with a Gen 8 server running 2012 Essentials. The default Administrator account was disabled by the previous Admin, and the owner's login credentials fail with the message: "The user profile service failed the logon. The profile cannot be loaded." A permissions issue on the Users folder perhaps?

Normally, I would boot from the installation media and either overwrite sethc.exe or Utilman.exe with cmd.exe to gain access, but when booting from the HP media I am not able to get to the windows/system32 directory. I am unfamiliar with iLO and doubt if this company paid for a license to activate it, but noticed in the documentation there was a User Management utility. Does that control Windows accounts or iLO accounts?

Be fore I do anything drastic, I thought I would ask here to see if there is a built in utility, or media utility that would help me regain access to the server. Right now, nobody can logon to the server console using any account, but domain users can logon to workstations as normal.

Thank you for any advice.

5 REPLIES 5
toddg1
HPE Pro

I think this request needs to be moved to the iLO/ProLiant team - this doesn't appear to be an Insight Remote Support issue.

I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
JADEComputer
Occasional Collector

I apologize for posting in the wrong area. Where is the Proliant server forum? I only ask because when I registered for the HP business forums, I ended up here. Navigation to the root of the forums is extremely obscured, even using the breadcrumbs ? /... /

The regular HP forums have no category for servers. It's as if there is no place for server admins, and if there is, it is kept well hidden within the navigation of the HP Enterprise website.

Please do move it.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Navigation to the root of the forums is extremely obscured, even using the breadcrumbs?

Going to the root doesn't help.  But on each page is a Categories dropdown menu with the whole layout.

And the Quick Links has FAQ:

http://community.hpe.com/t5/help/faqpage

>The regular HP forums have no category for servers.

Servers have nothing to do with HP Inc.  But the HPE Community has servers.

>within the navigation of the HPE website.

The HPE Community starts here:

http://community.hpe.com/

JADEComputer
Occasional Collector
Solution

Thank you for trying to clarify the navigation issues for me, but I guess I'm just not seeing the same options you are.

The firstt link you sent tells me how and why to register on HP forums, but there is no reference to the navigational structure. The second link you provided takes me to some kind of root, but it looks like a Blog not a forum, and I could not find a single link on it to the server section of the forums. It seems a small matter to add a root link in the breadcrumbs to page that lists all parent topics - but hey, I guess I'm just a sucker for convenience.

Profile Service Failed Issue RESOLVED

I had to  boot from installation media, enable the disabled Administrator account from command line by overwriting Utilman.exe with cmd.exe then rebooting and hitting Windows key + U at login screen. Once I couldlogin as default Administrator I discovered the "Default user" folder was missing. I copied it over from another server, then ran sfc /scannow and repaired several other corrupt files. It seems to be stable and working again in case this can help someone else.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>there is no reference to the navigational structure.

The old forum had a menu at the root that you could open to give the structure.  The current forum has a list of categories on EVERY page:

EBC categories.JPG

>it looks like a Blog not a forum, and I could not find a single link

There is a "Featured Content" where you can switch between Blog and Discussion but that still won't help you.

As I said, use the Categories menu above.