1748123 Members
3323 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to boot from a Virtual CD

KEITH LARGE
Occasional Advisor

Unable to boot from a Virtual CD

I am trying to boot a server using the ILO virtual CD. However, the virtual CD is in fact a bootable image on a different server.

The ILO Virtual CD recognises the virtual image and from the OS I can map to it and browse the data. However, when i boot the server it goes straight into the O/S without looking at the Virtual CD. Am i doing something wrong ?

I have checked the bios of the server and the boot order is cdrom, diskette, hdd.

The server is a DL360 G3 running Windows 2003
4 REPLIES 4
acartes
Honored Contributor

Make sure that the virtual CD image is connected before resetting the server.

If you are using an .iso image and scripted virtual media, make sure that you are connecting it with the boot_once or boot_always option. Id does not necessarily mount the image for booting unless you tell it to.

You can also mount virtual media and set the options by accessing iLO using SSH.
Eric_76
Regular Advisor

I to have this problem but mine is dl380 g3
as you said not even trying to connect to virtual CD or image. This is also true with our virtual Floppy and image... same exact thing. even in the ILO event log states Virtual media connected by Administrator.....

I have double check to make sure that in f9 to boot to floppy first. and virtual media enabled. ilo has 1.62 and also tried 1.7 version firmware same result

please help..

FYI: I have used this feature a while back when rebuilding a server remotely and now I had to rebuild another one and this is what I got........no love and just out of curiosity I have tried another server and same thing no virtual floppy.
acartes
Honored Contributor

You may need a host ROM upgrade first. Older system ROMs may lack the ability to boot from virtual media as a consequence of not supporting USB boot.

This can vary from host to host as USB support was not always available when they first shipped. Also, some systems probably will not be supported:

HP advisory:

The following ProLiant server models do not support legacy mode USB and therefore cannot boot Virtual Media or use any USB-based Virtual Media features that are outside an operating system that has native USB support:

ProLiant DL380 G2
ProLiant ML330 G2
ProLiant ML350 G2
ProLiant ML370 G2
All other USB-based Virtual Media features are supported on these servers.

SCOPE
ProLiant DL380 G2
ProLiant ML330 G2
ProLiant ML350 G2
ProLiant ML370 G2
ProLiant DL380 G3, 2.4 GHz, 400MHz Front Side Bus
ProLiant DL380 G3, 2.8 GHz, 400MHz Front Side Bus
ProLiant ML370 G3, 2.4 GHz, 400MHz Front Side Bus
ProLiant ML370 G3, 2.8 GHz, 400MHz Front Side Bus

RESOLUTION
There are no plans to provide USB-based Virtual Media boot support for the following ProLiant server models:

ProLiant DL380 G2
ProLiant ML330 G2
ProLiant ML350 G2
ProLiant ML370 G2
Eric_76
Regular Advisor

yes enabeling the usb works thanks.