Server Management - Remote Server Management
1752710 Members
5515 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Use conrep to configure iLO2/iLO

Eric Hoeve

Use conrep to configure iLO2/iLO

I have several different Proliant DL Servers (365 Gx 380 Gx 385 Gx) all running Linux. Some of them appear not to be configured correctly and I want to use conrep utility to configure them for iLO/iLO2 remote access by setting the virtual serial port and setting the port speed.

Is this feasible? Any suggestions or pitfalls?

TIA

-Eric
7 REPLIES 7
Eric Hoeve

I forgot to add that these servers are all up and running. I thought I read somewhere that conrep could reconfigure the RBSU, but would still require a reboot.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

What you're really looking for is HPONCFG which is the online configuration utility for iLO/iLO2. No system reboot is required.

http://www.hp.com/servers/manage --> iLO --> Download [Firmware] (sic) --> Choose your Linux --> HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility for Linux
Eric Hoeve

David,

The problem is that the Virtual Serial Port is not configured/disabled and I was under the impression that I needed the conrep utility for that or physical access.

TIA

-Eric
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If your wanting to setup the systems so you can access the OS console over the iLO vitual serial port, then the answer is yes, you can use conrep to configure the serial port settings in RBSU. You will also need to configure the OS to redirect it's console output to the serial port. hponcfg as David pointed out is used to configure iLO settings
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Eric Hoeve

I really appreciate the quick responses on this forum. It has been quite helpful.

I want to bump the port speed on the VSP on several boxes from 9600 (slow) to 115,200. I was planning on doing it with conrep for the RBSU. I see it needs to also be altered in grub and /etc/inittab. I am missing anywhere else?

TIA

-Eric
iloguy

There is no port speed setting for iLO/iLO2 Virtual Serial Port because, there is no physical 16550 UART inside iLO/iLO2.

What are the problems you are seeing on those systems that appear not to be configured correctly?

Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

about the VSP configuration you can check

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00263709/c00263709.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

if you haven't done it already.

As for configuring VSP in RBSU, you should be able to do it with CONREP...