Server Management - Remote Server Management
1748259 Members
3943 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VIrtual Media install not working

VIrtual Media install not working

Hi,

I've got a set of BL35p G1's on which I'm trying to install Linux (currently Win2003 is installed) using a .iso file. The image-file is mounted using the Virtual CD-rom and the drive is connected (all lights are green).

However, when I boot the server it completely ignores the 'cd-rom' and boots straight into windows. I've checked the BIOS setting and the boot-order is:
PL:1 CD-ROM
PL:2 Floppy
PL:3 USB
PL:4 Hard Drive

Is there anything else I can check, or may be missing? I've tried the install on 3 (out of 7) blades and they all behave the same way.

Any help is appreciated!

regards
/Mikael Sandstr├╢m
4 REPLIES 4
pratap m keshava
Trusted Contributor

What is the iLO firmware version? You can use the latest iLO 1.93 firmware.

goto www.hp.com/servers/lights-out
select "past iLO technologies", then select "download software and drivers". Select the Operating system. Download the online/offline firmware flash component of iLO 1.93 firmware.

Are you using DVD iso image? earlier firmware didn't had support for large DVD iso images.

Also check if you have the latest ROM version installed in the server. You can check the date in the F8 prompt during boot. If required you can update the ROM too.

Hi,

The firmware version is 1.86, and I'm using a DVD image.

I'll update the firmware and try again and then I'll let you know.

Thanks for the reply!

regards
/M
BDay
Frequent Advisor

Did you get this figured out? Our brand new DL G6 servers are doing the same thing, they completely ignore remotely attached media during boot.

Hi,

I had problems getting the firmware upgraded so I went back to using cd's, and then it worked.
Now I'm using kickstart to re-install the blades if necessary so I havent tried to upgrade the firmware since.

regards
/M