1748178 Members
4226 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual CDROM and ILO

Chuck Reimer
Advisor

Virtual CDROM and ILO

Is it possible to boot off a Virtual cdrom that is loaded before the server posts. My initial testing was unsuccessful but I wanted to throw it out to the forum to see if anyone was successful. If the current Firmware versions do not support this, does anyone know if there are plans to support this in the future. This functionality would be nice if you needed to build a server remotely :). TIA
5 REPLIES 5
acartes
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can boot from virtual CD-ROM.

Use the latest host ROM.
Check the host configuration boot order and CD properties.

The virtual CD should be mounted before the host is booted (goes through POST). The virtual CD must also be bootable.
Chuck Reimer
Advisor

Great, I just tried this on an ILO with firmware version 1.55 and works like a charm. Do you know by chance the minimum firmware version required for this functionality? Thanks for you help!
Alex Georgopoulos

I am able to boot of the media but unable to install the OS (Redhat EL 2.1). It boots the kernel but is unable to find the Redhat CDROM. iLo version 1.55, any thoughts?
barnett chan
Trusted Contributor

I believe rh2.1 is lacking usb support at boot time. The Virtual Media simulates USB a device.
acartes
Honored Contributor

iLO virtual CD support was first available in firmware version 1.40. It is an iLO Advanced feature.

Virtual CD boot support also requires that the host ROM has updates to support virtual USB CDs. Not all host ROMs had this when the systems shipped. The latest host ROMs in iLO systems support this, though.