5757 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO 2 standard - remote console and text mode linux

barnett chan
Trusted Contributor

Stefan,

Do you have the same Linux distribution on both the iLO1 and iLO2 system? Some of the newer Linux (rh4, rh5, sles10) actually run some of the text modes within a graphics mode.
NeilP

are you using the nofb (no framebuffer) kernel option?

I'm guessing that its the mode the graphics card is in that counts.
Ken Miller_3
Advisor

Hi,

So I'm still trying to understand this (as the original author was).

With a DL 380 G5, in order to use remote text console from Power-On thru POST and boot of a Linux OS, you need an Advanced ILO PAK?

I have a DL 380 G5 with V1.35 ILO2 firmware and it doesn't appear this is the case; however, I'm staging a DL 380 G5 with V1.43 ILO2 firmware, and it DOES appear to be the case.

Please confirm this change in ILO2 Firmware behavior.

Thanks,

== k ==
acartes
Honored Contributor

>> With a DL 380 G5, in order to use remote text console from Power-On thru POST and boot of a Linux OS, you need an Advanced ILO PAK?

iLO 2 enables remote console from server boot until POST completes as a standard option on all platforms. License is required for remote console on ML and DL servers as soon as the OS load starts. A license is not required on blades, where remote console is standard.

Linux can be configured to support a TTY on the iLO virtual serial port. This can be accessed from iLO and does not require a license key.
ilouser
Occasional Advisor

I'm new to the iLo interface.

I've got a number of C7000 chassis with some BL685c G5's, all running iLo 1.70 firmware.

I've automated the configuration of the OA and VCs using expect to install networking and SSH keys, then switching to SSH to roll out the rest of the setup.

I now want to connect using SSH (not using a web browser) to the iLo and then have them PXE boot from a DHCP/NFS server and automatically install our SUSE Linux 9 setup.

How do I get a ascii text console on my blades using iLO and run it from SSH?

Thanks.
hesam
Advisor

we have 2 different command mode

1- hpilo commnad
2- server operating system command like ssh
my question is with activating tty on virtual port in linux which command line is active ?