3610 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLO Passthru Service and Windows 2003 Remote Desktop

Simon Millard
Occasional Advisor

iLO Passthru Service and Windows 2003 Remote Desktop

Help
Has anybody managed to get the Terminl Services passthru working with Windows 2003 Remote Desktop?
I have got the passthru to work with Terminal Services installed but will then have to license it, hence I want to use Remote Desktop instead.

Running iLO v1.62 and iLO passthru service 1.0
8 REPLIES 8
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Re: iLO Passthru Service and Windows 2003 Remote Desktop

It works great for me! We exclusively use Remote Desktop Adminitration and the iLO passthrough service is wonderful. It's much faster than the regular iLO mode.
Bob Pace
Occasional Advisor

Does anyone have a pointer or info on how to set this up.

I have a set up of BL20P and Bl30P blades and can not get this to work.

Have installed passthru service but terminal server button on the ILO interface stays grayed out.
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

You need the iLO Advanced Key installed to support this feature.
acartes
Honored Contributor

Have you had any success resolving this Terminal Services pass-through issue? Here are some comments:

1) iLO Advanced license is required for TS pass-through.

>>>Note that full client Terminal Services does not need to be licensed for the OS. The mode used by iLO is for remote management supporting max 2 connections.

2) Check that iLO is configured with pass-through Enabled or Automatic. Start with Enabled if you are troubleshooting. This allows you to manually activate it from the Remote Console window.

3) Check that the iLO driver is installed on the host OS. This is called the "HP iLO Management Channel Interface Driver" under device manager/Multifunction devices.

4) Check that the Terminal Services passthrough service is installed on the host OS. This is titled "HP iLO Passthrough Service" under device manager/services.

5) Check that the terminal services client is available on your client system. Hit Start/Run then enter "mstsc" If this does not start the "Remote Desktop Connection" client then iLO might not be able to locate the program.

6) If all of the above are working properly, attempt to restart the service from step (4). Then log into iLO, launch remote console, then hit the "TrmSvcs" button to start the terminal services client.

Let me know how this goes for you, and any questions you encounter along the way.
Bob Pace
Occasional Advisor

Hi

I had that but what I didn't notice that the ILO had passthru disabled by default.

You have to go to the Admin tab on the ILO screen - Global settings and enable pasthru

BP
Simon Millard
Occasional Advisor

My understanding was that under Windows 2000 Server you could use Terminal Services for Administration purposes (maximum 2 connects) but with Windows 2003 this was no longer provided and that you should use Remote Desktop instead. You are no longer offered the two installation choices you got under Windows 2000 (administrator or application).
acartes
Honored Contributor

>> My understanding was that under Windows 2000 Server
>> you could use Terminal Services for Administration purposes
>> (maximum 2 connects) but with Windows 2003 this was
>> no longer provided and that you should use Remote
>> Desktop instead.

I think that Terminal Services is the product name for RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol). Either way, it is still provided in W2K3 for administrative purposes - console 0.

>> You are no longer offered the two installation choices you
>> got under Windows 2000 (administrator or application).

I think administrator it is there by default, application requires licensing or the right OS edition.
Bob Pace
Occasional Advisor

You have to specifically install terminal services and answer the appropriate question to enable it even under 2003. It is not installed as part of the default server installation.

Then you get to use it for admin purposes _ 2 logins