1748288 Members
3501 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLO/ RILOE IP detection

Alon Grubshtein

iLO/ RILOE IP detection

Hi All,

I'm trying to detect all servers in my environment that have iLO/RILOE *active* on them. I need to know whether Lights Out is connected (to a working cable) or not and I need the IP.
At first, I've tried to use the scripts listed in a thread in this forum (and I've also checked other forums), but those will only connect to the WMI and check for the existence of the driver (win32_SystemDriver). This is not good for me, because most of my machines have iLO (so it has the driver), but it's not connected.
Any attempt to use CPQLOCFG with GET_NETWORK.xml is useless because I need to know the server's iLO/RILOE IP which I'm trying to find.

Does anyone know of any other means to detect these settings (Other then go throughout the entire computer room, and check each server's physical connections)?
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: iLO/ RILOE IP detection

1. Run autodiscovery from HP SIM. Any systems without an associated iLO will need to be investigated.

2. Any host with agents 7.3 or later will show as degraded in HP SIM if the iLO is not plugged in (unless someone has gone and disabled the 'Remote Insight' subagent in the HP Management Agent Control Panel applet).

3. Run HPONCFG on each host with the same GET_NETWORK.xml you reference and the host will request that information locally, not through the wire (requires iLO driver is in place and functioning).

4. snmpwalk -v 1 -c YOURCOMMUNITYSTRING HOSTNAME_OR_IP_ADDRESS 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.9.2.5.1.1.5.2 (assuming the agents are present and the iLO driver is there)
Alon Grubshtein

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the swift reply.
Now for business:
I'm having administrative problems with installing HP SIM, so for now I've decided to use the SNMPWALK options you've mentioned.
For some reason, I keep getting timeout messages.
I'm pretty sure I'm using the right community string (you can get it at: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Service\SNMP\Parameters\ValidCommunities), so I have no clue as to what the problem is. (Needless to say I've ruled out FW by running snmpwalk both localy and remotely).
Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do to work around this issue?

Thanks,
Alon.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

make sure you are walking the host, not the iLO...
Alon Grubshtein

I was walking the right host...
The problem I've had was that the server did not accept SNMP requests from any hosts even though the service was started (to remedy this all one has to do is go to the service's properties and in security define allowed hosts).
Having settled that, I've happily begun experimenting with all sorts of 'walks' like 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.9.2.5.1.1.5.2 - which gave me basic HW and OS information (good indication that it's working/walking properly).
I then proceeded to using 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.9.2.5.1.1.5.2 (the OID which David gave me) but didn├в t get any response whatsoever from the server. Am I missing yet another thing???

Thanks,
Alon.