1747984 Members
4782 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: iLO & Dynamic DNS Registration

Rob Lowe_5
Occasional Contributor

iLO & Dynamic DNS Registration

I'm researching whether a Lights-Out interface can dynamically register its host name with an Active Directory-integated DNS zone that only allows secure updates.

I believe the answer to be no, but wanted to see if anyone has had any success configuring this.

TIA for any feedback.
7 REPLIES 7
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

I haven't done and don't know of someone who has done it... to be honest I don't think that can work.

BTW Is this iLO or iLO2?
Are you using the standard edition or the advanced pack?
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
acartes
Honored Contributor

>> ...register its host name with an Active Directory-integated DNS zone that only allows secure updates...

iLO does not support secure dynamic updates, as you suspect.

However, if they you are using Microsoft infrastructure, the DHCP server can be configured to register securely, on behalf of iLO.
acartes
Honored Contributor

The DHCP server can be configured to act as a Dynamic DNS update proxy.

See MS KB Article 816592, DNSUpdateProxy group. (Windows Server 2003 DHCP and DC hosts are required)
Rob Lowe_5
Occasional Contributor

We have a mix of lights-out management interfaces, including some of the original Remote Insight Boards.

We're running static addresses on our interfaces. I suppose we could create reservations in the DHCP scope for each interface, but it certainly would require some more work to manage it.

Thank you for your responses.
adkg12
Occasional Contributor

We use the Enclosure to assign ip addresses for our iLO's.  Can the OA be configured to do the SDDNS registration on behalf of the blade...?

Thank you

adkg12

Kalima

Up this topic.

We can do that now with ILO5 or not ? 

Thank you.

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Kalima

Thank you for writing to us. Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo