5161 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO and Java version

Jesper Saks
Occasional Contributor

iLO and Java version

Hi,

As a last resort I am hoping that someone in this forum will have an answer for my question. I cannot access the "remote console" function on any of my iLOs with the latest firmware installed (v 1.64), all I get is either a blank screen OR a red "X" in the top left side corner. I have tried different versions of the Java runtime, the last one being 1.4.2_07 and none of the 1.4.x work! Unfortunately I cannot use 1.3.x as our financial system needs a 1.4 version... Does anyone have a solution to this problem or knows when HP might begin supporting version 1.4.x??? I would be really interested to know...

Thanks.
Jesper
13 REPLIES 13
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

I took a look at my system, and I noticed I have both 1.3.1_02 and 1.4.1_04 installed when I check in add/remove programs. When I bring up the ILO remote console, and check the Java Console, I see that it is running under the 1.4.1_04 JVM.

Let us know if this helps.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Derek_31
Valued Contributor

Just be aware that old versions of Java have highly critical security flaws that can allow remote code exploits. I would strongly recommend you upgrade to a patched version. We are using 1.4.2_06 w/o problems with iLO and SIM.
Jesper Saks
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate it. I did resolve the issue... It turns out the problem turned out to be a DNS entry for the iLOs, once that was corrected it worked fine with the 1.4.2_07 version...

Thanks.
Jesper
Raymon_1
Frequent Advisor

Which DNS issues do you mean ?

Ik have placed al ilo boards in a subdomain

boardname.ilo.domain.nl it also reverse lookups as the right boardname

and in the ilo config i placed boardname and ilo.domain.nl as domain name
AJ Paisley
Occasional Advisor

I am having the exact same issue with just one machine. The others can connect with out issue. Can you please explain more clearly as to what DNS settings you are refering to?
AJ Paisley
Occasional Advisor

I resolved my issue and here is how it did it.

I also had SIM 4.2 on this box so I had to remove the 1.4.XX version SIM installs and then I installed Java 5.0 Now both SIM and ILO are working fine. There must me some compatibility issues with the Java the SIM 4.2 installs and the the one that Ilo handles.
Cory Hug
Frequent Advisor

I'm having this same problem. The remote console doesn't work on ANY of our new servers we just deployed with RILOE II boards. Java 1.3.1 works, but none of the 1.4.x or 1.5 versions work. As with the original poster, we also require at least Java 1.4.x for some other applications. Looking at the Java Console log screen, it gets a Bad Magic Number error when trying to launch the remote console screen in Java versions 1.4.x or 1.5. There were a couple mentions of DNS issues? Can whoever that was give more detail? We do have both forward and reverse lookups for the RILOEII boards. We also configure the host name and the domain in the IP config on the card. Is there anything else we need to set?

Thank you!
Cory Hug
Frequent Advisor

Okay, I have a bit of an update on my issue. I was thinking more about the DNS issue. As I mentioned in my previous post we do have both forward and reverse DNS entries for the RILOEII board. BUT, when typing in the url into the IE window, we usually just type the main board name and NOT the including the domain name. That's because we're on an intranet and our workstation PC assumes the domain name. So, for example, I would just type in http://riloeiiboardname in the address line. Also as mentioned in my original message, using this method the remote console screen works fine with Java version 1.3.1, but not with any of the 1.4.x or 1.5 versions. But I got to thinking and tried typing in the full url in IE including the domain name, for example, http://riloeiiboardname.mycompany.com

I still get to the board itself as expected, but it won't accept any login ID and password. I have 2 different ID's created on the board and neither of them work. But if I use just the http://riloeiiboardname url (without the domain name) then I can sign in with both ID's just fine.

I'm wondering if whatever's interfering with the sign-on may also be causing issues with the remote console, if it is a DNS issue. But would possibly cause the login issue?
acartes
Honored Contributor

As far as JVMs go, iLO officially is supported using 1.3.1_02 and 1.4.2, so mileage may vary with others.

As far as the RILOE II login problems go when using the full DNS name, they are strange! If you use the IP address, do you have any problems? Do you get the https:// login prompt, or do you have problems before then? Also, what RILOE II firmware are you using?

You probably should open a support case to look at the login issue.