New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO2 and Firmware CD v7.70

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leonard Holling
Occasional Advisor

iLO2 and Firmware CD v7.70

Hi There

WE have several new ML350 G5 servers. When you upgrade them locally and use the local mouse you can move the mouse around to click on all the buttons to start the CD (why they make it a GUI only with no way to TAB is beyond me but anyhow) and perform the firmware update.

When you load the Firmware CD v7.70 remotely via iLO2 and then try to use the iLO mouse it does not move the mouse. If you move the local mouse all is OK (tried with and without local mouse installed).

I then tried the 7.61 Firmware CD and the mouse again works. This would appear to be some sort of iLO2 problem with the V7.70 Firmware CD.

I have confirmed this on two different ML350 G5 servers that have the latest patches
ML350G5 12/26/2006
iLO2 1.29

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Leonard,
The issue is caused by a bad high performance mouse driver for iLO on the Firmware CD 7.70. An updated driver that resolves the issue will be on the next Firmware CD scheduled to ship in 2Q07.

We also plan to resolve the keyboard support issues in a later version of the Firmware CD, but it didn't make it into our next version.

Thanks,
Michael Garner
HP Firmware CD/HPSUM developer
Leonard Holling
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the information, will wait for the new firmware CD then. Do you have a month that it will be released or is it just in the April-June timeframe?

Leonard...
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

We're still working on the CD so we don't have a definite release date, but it should be in the first half of the quarter.
TerenceB
Occasional Advisor

Just to add that we're stuck with exactly the same problem. Thank goodness for your posting Leonard - saves me scratching around with more futile attempts to get the mouse working. This was our first attempt to use a firmware CD remotely via ILO2 so it hasn't been a very good start. I certainly agree - why on earth the GUI is programmed only for (dicey) mouse usage and no TAB is quite beyond me also.
Leonard Holling
Occasional Advisor

Hi Terence

Hopefully they might think about that as a result...

It was easy to do the 7.61 CD all we did was delete all of .SCEXE files on he 7.61 CD and copy over the 7.70 files.

Leonard...
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

You'll get both items in the next Firmware CD. We have added keyboard accelerators and enabled TAB key support in our next version due out next month. We have also resolved the iLO high performance mouse issue by adding an updated iLO high performance mouse driver. The one caveat is that you will need to enable the high performance mouse setting in the iLO remote console configuration or your mouse may not align properly with the mouse in the remote console.

Regards,
Michael
TerenceB
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Good to hear that the problems will be fixed in the next Firmware CD. Pity really that this major remote usage problem is not mentioned on the download page for the CD. It would save us all going through the same timewasting procedure.

Thanks for the tip Leonard to manually fix the CD.

Regarding the high performance mouse issue: The server that I was trying to remotely upgrade doesn't have any operating system installed, the intention was to upgrade as much as possible before installing the OS. I did not switch on high performance mouse, there was obviously no point in doing so. Maybe this is something you need to take into consideration with the mouse fix - a server without an operating system installed.

Regards
Terence
Leonard Holling
Occasional Advisor

Hmmm just thought that I would mention that I tried the v7.80 CD and yes you can upgrade the firmware by using th e keyboard. The only problem is that you can still ONLY use the mouse on the initial screens for Language and accepting the license agreement.

Maybe you should get the guys in the testing/functionality lab to remove the mouse and then see if they can use the CD...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Leonard...