108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ilo via ssh & terminal emulation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tim McMurphy
Occasional Contributor

ilo via ssh & terminal emulation

I put in a call to HP (3211800883) asking what terminal emulation I should use when I ssh in and use remcons. I am getting lots of bad screen redraws and I can't vi files.

They said that "the functionality you want isn't available" and "use the browser". If you are on a network where port 80 is not available and port 22 is the only one HP's ILO is kind of useless.

Why do they say in the manual that you can admin text based operating systems via ssh on the ILO port when you clearly can not?

Has anyone used ssh to ilo and got remcons to work? If so what terminal emulation did you use? Is there some other setting I am missing?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
acartes
Honored Contributor
Solution

Answer also posted here: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=894953

>> what terminal emulation I should use when I ssh in and use remcons.

iLO builds-in a VT320 serial client when accessing the virtual serial port via the browser interface.

>> I am getting lots of bad screen redraws and I can't vi files.

Check your vi termtype and configure your client to use the same.

>> They said that "the functionality you want isn't available" and "use the browser".

"They" say things like that sometimes :(

>> If you are on a network where port 80 is not available and port 22 is the only one HP's ILO is kind of useless.

I suggest using SSH to access iLO and then to access the virtual serial port (VSP) instead of remcons. I assume you are using a flavor of Linux or Unix. There is a HOWTO whitepaper that has details here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179166&taskId=101&
prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=397989

Look for the one titled, "Integrated Lights-Out Virtual Serial Port configuration and operation HOWTO"

Not only will this address your issues with remcons, it is much more true to Unix.

>> Why do they say in the manual that you can admin text based operating systems via ssh on the ILO port when you clearly can not?

Try the VSP and report back. I think you'll be satisfied.

>> Has anyone got ILO via ssh to work reliably?

Yes. We usually use PuTTY and VT100 or VT320. It is the console ANSI cursor movements that can get in the way.
TAck_1
Occasional Contributor

Did you get this working?

We are trying to follow the suggestion to use the VSP, but we get _no_ output. We have walked through the Linux setup HOWTO and throught iLO user Guide, but no luck.

We get no output on the VSP - either in the Java applet or by using SSH to the iLO and issuing the VSP command. The VSP does activate ("Virtual serial port active: IO 0x0408 INT 4"), so I don't think there is a problem with the iLO.

We are using iLO firmware 1.80. We have tried this on both a DL380G3 and a DL580G2 with the same results. We have tried both with and without the Advanced Feature license. Other iLO functionality (remcons, virtual power, etc.) all works fine. We have two cases open with HP support and they are stumped as well.

Since we have configured the VSP to be used both as the Linux serial console (running RHEL 3.0 AS) and as the BIOS serial console, I would have expected to see at least BIOS messages, even if we had messed up the Linux config. But we are getting neither.

Our goal in configuring the VSP console is to capture all Linux boot sequence output to diagnose a separate boot time issue that occurs when certain SAN disks are presented to our hosts. HP support requires this output to work this problem, but HP support can't seem to tell us how to capture this output.

Any suggestions?