1748000 Members
4932 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out: connect

Mario Vlachakis

java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out: connect

Hello All,

I have few HP servers all with ILO but for some reason one of the gives me a balnk screen with error:

java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out: connect

I read the previous topics about the firewall blocking the required ports but i am trying from the server itself ...

No other server is experiencing issues.

As well (sorry for all the questions) i want to make all servers to have the same version of software management and ILO (Different models DL3XX G2,DL3XX G3 and G4)

Many thanks in advance.
10 REPLIES 10
M.S.Srivatsa
Valued Contributor

1.What is the iLO firmware version.?
2.Are you able to ping iLO' with a DNS name
or IP address.

Could you please give us the steps you have followed to reproduce this problem.

Mario Vlachakis

Steps.

1. Login to https://IP Address of ILO/login.htm
2. Enter username and password
3. I click on Remote console (dual cursor)
4. New window opens
5. After 15 secs on the bottom of the screen the error appears.

Current version 1.41
Scott_278
Valued Contributor

The current firmware for the ILO is 1.82. Most likely you need a firmware upgrade.
Mario Vlachakis

Thanks for the reply Scott. If i do upgrade the ILO firmware will i need to reboot the server?

As well all other servers are running same version firmware with no issues but an upgrade will be good anyway as long as a reboot is not needed. And one last question where can i get the firmware from ?

Many thanks
Scott_278
Valued Contributor

You can get the ILO firmware here:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/locate/69_5867.html#4

Download the component "Firmware Upgrade Image for the HP Integrated Lights-Out Management Controller". You will need to exctract .BIN file which is the actual firmware file.

A firmware update does not require a server reboot, but it does require an ILO restart. 1.42 is REALLY old firmware. There's been lots of major bug fixes since that revision.

Interesting you don't have this problem on other servers with the same firmware level. Can you get to the card from your workstation? Wondering if there is a problem with the java version on that server...
Mario Vlachakis

The major issue is that all the servers are located to a different datacentre and i can only access them using a vpn connection. I normally access all ILO's from RDP connections on other servers so its on the same LAN..

MC1903
Regular Advisor

Hi Mario,

Did you ever resolve this issue?

I have a customer with exactly the same error (java.net.ConnectException: Operation timed out: connect) and they too are using a VPN to access the iLO's.

Does any one know if the remote console java session uses another port or ports?

Cheers

Martin

MC1903
Regular Advisor

Not to worry... we fixed it.

Their VPN was blocking port 23 (telnet), to the iLo IP address(s), which is what the remote console & graphical remote console uses.

Once the port was authorised across the VPN, it all started working.

Martin
Florian Schott
Advisor

Hm, when I try to connect to the Virtual KVM/Media viewer (remote desktop) the Java applet constantly gives me a time-out error (see attachment). Funny but even using the extracted mahogany.jars provided in a different thread I am getting the same error.

When I am within the LAN with the same laptop the remote desktop applet works perfectly. This time-out error only occurs when I try to access over the internet. I am forwarding ports 23, 80, 443, 623, 664, 5900-5909 TCP and UPD. I have tried two different routers, iLO firmware version 3.11 and 3.2. I am running out of ideas.

Who can help?