4526 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: "Network flash recovery state" with iLO 1.91

Gron
Occasional Contributor

"Network flash recovery state" with iLO 1.91

Hello!

We have a HP DL360 G3 server whose iLO doesn't work anymore after a power failure. It's still pingable but when contacted via web browser it shows an XML file with the text "The iLO firmware is in a network flash recovery state."

I tried the following, without success:

* Removed both power cables from the server, thus resetting iLO completely.

* FTPed the file ilo191.bin - FTP worked, no error messages, iLO was resetted at the end of the FTP process but still doesn't work.

What else can I do to make iLO work again?
8 REPLIES 8
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Gron

well if you already tried the FTP trick I don't think there would be something else

the only thing that comes to my mind is tried the FTP again using an older version like the one that was previous or any other old version

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi again

something else that came to my mind

have you tried using firmware CD 8.0 to try to fix ilo?

either way my idea is using Firmware CD or FTP look for system maintenance switch in system board it has 6 - 8 positions (i don't remember for this model) set the position number 1 to ON that is the security ilo switch so... set it ON and try FTP or Firmware CD again

regards
RaMpaNTe
Trusted Contributor

Well after upgrading ilo and still does not work you can go to the maintenance switch and locate dip switch # 1 power down the server turn switch to ON position power on the server press f8 to get into the iLO menu, do a reset to factory values, save, reboot, turn switch to OFF position press f8, reconfigure the DNS, IP address & password and then try again. If after that you still can't access the ilo then a system board replacement is needed. ilo is toasted.
You heve a question... I have an aswer!!!
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

since you have reset the ilo with removing power completely and flashed the firmware, can be that the power failure corrupted the ilo and the only thing left is systemboard replacement...

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

I agreed with Blazhev but another shot trying more more troubleshooting can save some money ;-)

Gron
Occasional Contributor

Meanwhile I have tried the following:

* Switched DIP switch #1 to ON, retried FTP - no difference: FTP worked properly, iLO resetted, but is still in flash recovery state.

* Created two floppies with firmware 1.92, booted with disk #1, updated the firmware without any error, rebooted the server - again no difference.

* Unplugged and plugged power again - no change.

It's really weird: the iLO IP is pingable, the iLO webserver sends at least an HTTP reply, but I'm not able to get rid of thia recovery state. Does this really look like an iLO hardware issue?

(BTW: The F8 prompt doesn't appear during the POST screen anymore...)
acartes
Honored Contributor

The flash recovery state means that the current flashed iLO firmware image is incomplete. iLO has booted an alternate image that allows you to upload a flash image using FTP.

Alternatively, you can set the iLO Security override switch and then boot the firmware maintenance CD. Update the image with the switch set, then restore the switch after the update.

If iLO is still dead in this state, it suggests that the iLO flash chip has failed, which might require a board replacement.