5676 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

remotely configure initial iLO settings

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Golinski

remotely configure initial iLO settings

I'd like to streamline iLO configuration for servers that are being installed in a remote location.

Can I get some pointers on how this is best accomplished (assuming it is possible)?

I think that default iLO settings will use DHCP to grab an IP address for the iLO interface. The default Administrator password is based off of the serial number. However, does iLO talk to Dynamic DNS or do you have to somehow gather what IP address was assigned.

Are there iLO training classes??
7 REPLIES 7
Larry Betson
Occasional Contributor

Re: remotely configure initial iLO settings

Steve:

I am glad you brought this up. I have just been tasked at my work to rollout Advanced iLO to 200 servers...most of which are remote.

I would hate to have to fly out to each location to do this.

If anyone has any way to streamline this process remotley please let us know.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

IF an operating system is installed (Linux or Windows) and the iLO driver is present, HPONCFG can be used to configure iLO at the command line, inserting a password, new user account/password pair, network settings, etc.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

you can configure DHCP to register the name in DNS.
all ilo's have name ILO unless manually configured
all additional boards voor servers wich don't have an "integrated" have name RIB (remote insights board)
acartes
Honored Contributor
Solution

From the iLO pages go to support, then manuals, download the Scripting and command-line guide. There are also some sample scripts that can get you up and running prett quickly (the sample scripts are on the downloads page, not the manuals page).

You can run the scripts remotely, over the network using CPQLOCFG, or locally from within the host OS using HPONCFG.

There is also a script for installing license keys.

By default iLO uses DHCP and DDNS. The iLO DNS name is iLO + server serial number.

The default administrator password is unique to each system and is not derived from the serial number.

Steve Golinski

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the clarifications.
PAW_1

Is there a way to do this remote configuration of ILO (HPONCFG/CPQONCFG) for an HP-UX OS on an itanium server. I have the DHCP assigned IP address for the ILO port on my two rx4640 severs and can connect to them via browser or telnet.....but neither will let me change the network config from DHCP to a static address. Do I have to go to the server and connect serially to change this?
Charles Wurts

FYI- I spoke with HP to see if you could run the hponcfg utility on an hp-ux box. Nope!

You can however reset the ILO buy pressing and holding the reset button on the ILO as follows:

iLO 2 MP Reset Button
The iLO 2 MP Reset button enables you to reset the iLO 2 MP and reset the user-specific values to factory default values. A momentary press causes a soft reset of the iLO 2 MP when the button is released. A greater than four second press causes a soft reset of the iLO 2 MP upon release and resets local user accounts and passwords to factory default values.

This is from document:
http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-6005/5991-6005.pdf

I haven't done it yet but per HP there is no host reset required just the ILO.

-Chuck