1752632 Members
5930 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Advantages?

Ken_38

Advantages?

Hi,
I'm considering setup a linux server for web serving and possibly for simple ftp and mail serving. Of course, the system should be secure. I came across hp secure-os. I trust hp, but I see in this forum that even hp secure-os has an exploit. Second option is trusted OS pitbull comes. But because they don't give source it has less chance to be selected. My last option is setup a RH 7.2 and the secure it and keep my 3000$. What do you think?
Specifically what are basic advantages and disadvantages of hp secure-os?
Also considering it's version 1, it may need some more time to mature. Can anyone make an rough estimate on when v2 will be released?

Regards
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Vladick
Advisor

Ken,

The topic "HP-LX opinions" has some good feedback on this product.

The release notes also has summary of the features of this product.
http://docs.hp.com/hpux/internet/index.html#hp-tlx
Wodisch
Honored Contributor

Hello Ken,

in case you want to go for the *free* Linux distribution, consider OpenBSD, as this is the *safest* in terms of security...

It is NOT Linux, of course, but then, it it much more stable, and would make your life as administrator of a web-attached server much less exiting ;-)

Just my $0.02,
Wodisch
Dan Am
Frequent Advisor

There are two major advantages here:

1) root user is not as powerful, as the system can be divided into compartments. Lokk at it as a super-powerfull "chroot-env"
2) the kernel audit feature, which gives possibility to know everything that happens on your machine, with a lot less possibility to bypass by malicious intruder.

Otherwise it is based on RH. AFAIU the system was constucted to take features from HP's "VirtualVault", without being massively complex. "Any skilled Admin will be able to handle this" (Quote HP-Technician on CEBIT)

The Source is open, as far as Kernel-Modifications are concerned.

HTH

Regards
Dan
do what you can. don't if you can't.