1748123 Members
3349 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Install HP Management Agents without Compiling

Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Install HP Management Agents without Compiling

Hello there, I'm running what I'd like to think is a secure web site (time will tell!) and I'd like to install the management agents so I know when the server has failed before my customers tell me.

However, all installations I've done require the development package to be installed. I *DO NOT* want to do this, especially in light of the slammer worm last year that compiled stuff on the remote host.

Is there a way of just installing the packages? Does anyone know why you need to recompile the packages after a kernel upgrade when all my other modules called by insmod don't?
7 REPLIES 7
Jeroen Peereboom
Honored Contributor

Michael,

Officially you need to recompile the modules.
I do not know if that is really needed, or that it is the only way to have support by HP in case of problems. No one can predict if the next kernel version has some changes that affect the management agents. I assume you refer to the Proliant Support Pack, containing hpasm, hprsm and others.

A solution may be to build everything on a copy of your secure server. This copy has the development environment installed.

The problem is: what must be copied to your server.

You can have a look at the Advanced Installation Topics - Remote Source Location of the Proliant Support Pack and Deployment Utilities User Guide.

JP
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

slammer affected MS SQL.
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

So it did, I meant slapper!
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

If you've got a similar class of machine, with the same kernel revision on another machine, you can compile it there, and install the modules manually (after installing the packages).

The reason why the startup routine does the compile is because if you change the kernel, it needs new modules.

It's just designed to take the burden away fromt he admin, trying to do everything automatically.
One long-haired git at your service...
Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

How do I install the modules manually? Is there an application I can push the installation out to?
Mark Travis
Frequent Advisor

To install manually, do this:

1. figure out where the HP-defined process deposits the finished goods. This probably involves knowing how things like shell scripts and makefiles work which is probably beyond the scope of this thread.

2. package up those finished goods. tar is fine for this.

3. put them on a system with identical hardware in the identical filesystem location
Martin P.J. Zinser
Honored Contributor

Hi,

another idea, install the compiler on your system, build the modules. Afterwards either move the /usr/bin/gcc to a different place/name and/or make it non-executable. This should prevent somebody from compiling stuff behind your back.

Greetings, Martin