4601 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MySQL 4 & PHP with RHEL3 AS...

Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

MySQL 4 & PHP with RHEL3 AS...

Hi,

I'm having some problems with installing MySQL and PHP on RHEL3 AS. The standard packages which come with RHEL3 include MySQL-3.23.58-1 and PHP-4.3.2-8.ent.

However, I need to use MySQL 4 or above. I downloaded version 4 RPMs and installed them. The output from rpm -qa | grep -i mysql shows this...

MySQL-client-4.1.11-0
MySQL-shared-standard-4.1.11-0.rhel3
MySQL-server-4.1.11-0

Now I can start the mysql server and connect without any problems. I can also install the original php version without any problems...

php-4.3.2-8.ent

The problem is that when I try to install the php-mysql package, I get this...

# rpm -ihv php-mysql-4.3.2-8.ent.i386.rpm
warning: php-mysql-4.3.2-8.ent.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
error: Failed dependencies:
libmysqlclient.so.10 is needed by php-mysql-4.3.2-8.ent
Suggested resolutions:
mysql-3.23.58-1.i386.rpm

Now obviously, the suggested resolution is not an option, as my application needs MySQL version 4 or above. So, I tried to upgrade the install PHP version...

# rpm -U php-4.3.9-3.2.i386.rpm
warning: php-4.3.9-3.2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
error: Failed dependencies:
file >= 4.0 is needed by php-4.3.9-3.2
libaspell.so.15 is needed by php-4.3.9-3.2
libcurl.so.3 is needed by php-4.3.9-3.2
libdb-4.2.so is needed by php-4.3.9-3.2
libidn.so.11 is needed by php-4.3.9-3.2
libpspell.so.15 is needed by php-4.3.9-3.2
php-pear is needed by php-4.3.9-3.2

The same thing happens if I remove the original php package and try to install the updated one from scratch.

So, I decided to try and resolve the dependency issues, but I cannot seem to find the packages I need. There is nothing for the lib* packages on the RedHat Network website.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get around this. My only other option at present that I can see, is to install RHEL4 which comes with MySQL v4 as a standard package.

Many Thanks - Lee
13 REPLIES 13
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

I've tried everything I can find on google, yet MySQL 4 still fails.

My conclusion is that there is a kernel problem with the database based on the error message I got.

Solutions:

* Kernel only upgrade then install MySQL 4. The Kernel upgrade is possible and documented at redhat.com

* As you note upgrade the OS. There are pitfalls but MySQL 4 is running relatively okay on my test box.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Ah man, i'm in dependency hell!!!

I tried to work through the dependent files, thought maybe I'd worked out which packages I needed...

Tried to install file-4.10... but got told I needed glibc-2.3.4, so I tried to install that and then get a load more failed dependencies...where will this all end!?!?!

Does anyone know of a self contained PHP / MySQL package which includes all it's own libraries so I can just install it and it won't have to worry about other versions of other libraries???
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

Ok, as it seems you can get MySQL4 working fine, great, this'll be a pretty easy process! If you have the development systems installed.

First off, PHP from RedHat (out of the box) is always compiled against MySQL3. This means you need to remove it.

From there, you get the PHP SRC RPM from RedHat's update tree, and 'rpmbuild --rebuild php-4.x.xx.src.rpm'.

This should build cleanly (once again, if you have the dev systems installed), and make you nice updated PHP RPMS to install.

If it doesn't, you may need to tweak the 'php.spec' file to make the MySQL dependancy for a version 4.

To do this, you install the php src rpm (rpm -ivh php-4.xx.xx.src.rpm), modify '/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/php.spec', and change the appropriate 'Require' line.

If you hunt around however, you'll probably find all of this pre-compiled on someone's web site, as it's not an uncommon thing to want these days.
One long-haired git at your service...
Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

This kind of thing happens to me quite regularly and I find the quickest and easiest way is to check "rpmfind" for an RPM that matches my release of the OS. Nine times out of ten I've found one, or very close to the version I need.
Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies so far guys, but I'm still not having much luck with this.

I decided to try and use the standard RHEL3 AS packages that are included with the distribution for maximum supportability.

This would have seen me have MySQL-3.23.58-72.1 and PHP-4.3.2.8-ent.

However, even THIS doesn't seem to work!!! The standard MySQL packages that are included on the RHEL CDs don't seem to include the actual MySQL server. There's no mysqld or mysqladmin binaries!

So, I search on the RedHat Network for mysql-server packages of the same version (3.23.58-72.1) but found nothing. I did find an RPM of the same version on www.mysql.com in the archive, but when I went to install this I got loads more failed dependencies.

This is a joke. I'm losing my marbles here, please help!
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

You are correct. The RH Enterprise (original release) distribution failed to include the mysql-server package.

However, you should be able to get them using 'up2date'.

If not from there, then from the RedHat Network login.
Lee Harris_5
Valued Contributor

Like I said, there aren't any MySQL-Server packages on the RedHat Network which are for RHEL v3 AS. I already tried one aparently from RHEL v2.1 AS (that had the same version as the mysql tools package I have installed - 3.23.58-72.1 - but this failed dependencies).

Andrew Cowan
Honored Contributor

Have you run up2date (including loading the latest kernel) and ensured you have the latest patches? I had an issue with some software that wouldn't install until I loaded kernel 2.4.21-27.
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

There are ES packages.

Or just grab the MySQL source package and re-compile it (rpmbuild --rebuild mysql.xxx.src.rpm).