Secure OS Software for Linux
1752584 Members
4439 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

wu-ftpd installed, but it didn't reply response.

Hideyuki Hori

wu-ftpd installed, but it didn't reply response.

I built and installed wu-ftpd from source code.
It is not well connectable, although it was set up and /etc/xinetd.d/ftp was edited.
If it is made to operate by standalone by the command, it will operate normally. Are there any problems?
Hori
14 REPLIES 14
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

Re: wu-ftpd installed, but it didn't reply response.

If the server runs in daemon mode, then it *SHOULD* run from xinetd...

Did you forget to stop and restart xinetd after you edited the ftp file? (I really can't think of any other reasons why xinetd would have a problem with your ftp service otherwise......)

hth
Ron Vladick
Advisor

In your /etc/xinetd.d/ftp file, do you have the variable cname defined,

ex:

cname = system

where system is the compartment where ftp is running in?

Ron

Dan Am
Frequent Advisor

Hideyuki,
If "not well connected" means " really slow", you also check nor a port 53 (NS) entry in your compartmant tlrules.
hth
regrds
dan
do what you can. don't if you can't.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

IF you are running tcpd (look in /etc/intd.conf) then the following applies:

The tcpd program is a wrapper program that can be set up to monitor incoming requests for telnet, finger, ftp and other Internet services. It works as follows: whenever a request for service arrives, the inetd daemon runs tcpd, which logs the request and does some checking. When all is well, tcpd runs the appropriate server program and goes away. For details, see the tcpd manual page. Access control for tcpd is configured using the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files. tcpd looks at hosts.allow then hosts.deny. It stops at the first match. Consequently, one can permit a few machines to have ftp or telnet access and then deny access to everybody else in hosts.deny. Here is a sample /etc/hosts.allow:

ALL: 10.100.10.0/255.255.255.0

The ALL refers to all wrapped inetd services. This does not include stand-alone services. The second field 10.100.10.0/255.255.255.0 means all machines on the 10.100.10.0 subnet have access to all the services. Now we want to disallow access for everybody else. Put the following line into /etc/hosts.deny:

ALL: ALL

Also check that you do not have ipchains or whatever the other firewall is running on your machine. If you do it's probably blocking you.

Ron
Hideyuki Hori

thanks all,
There were a shortage of an understanding of COMPARTMENT and a problem of DNS. I solved.
Hori
Mark Fenton
Esteemed Contributor

so Ron and Dan's responses provided the clues you needed to solve this riddle....
Hal Rottenberg
Frequent Advisor

Hideyuki,

It's customary to assign points to one or more responses if they are helpful. That's what makes this place work.

Regards,

Hal Rottenberg
HP Technical Support Engineer
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.
Drew Gulino

Has anyone else get an FTP daemon working in a compartment?

I have configured an xinetd compartment that starts wu-ftp. The connection works when I start wu-ftpd in syshi by setting cname=syshi in my wu-ftpd file in /etc/xinetd.d. But when I try to get it running in another container 'test', it appears the control port get through, but not the data.

tlrules accepts
"COMPARTMENT test -> HOST * METHOD any NETDEV any" but this doesn't seem to effect anything. Only when I specify a port does it seem to work. Is there some tlrules syntax for all ports or, even better, ports over 1024?

I need to get PASV mode working, so I need the compartment to be able to initiate a connection on all ports >1024.

I've got the latest hp patches applied.

Any ideas?
Hal Rottenberg
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

You also need a rule for xinetd to even see the ftp traffic:

HOST * -> COMPARTMENT xinetd PORT 21 METHOD tcp NETDEV any

-hal
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.