Security Research
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Reverse engineering NAND Flash for fun and profit

Shawn Fisher

"32 pages make one block." : Kind of, per the ONFI 3.2 spec, "The number of pages per block shall be a multiple of 32." (I only write this because I am dealing with a chip that has 2048 pages per block).

About the Author

Shawn Fisher

Comments
not important at this juncture

Nice writeup. Appreciate the detail you have gone to.

One question though - why blackout the vendor's details/url in fig3 only to show them in fig4?

Shawn Fisher

"32 pages make one block." : Kind of, per the ONFI 3.2 spec, "The number of pages per block shall be a multiple of 32." (I only write this because I am dealing with a chip that has 2048 pages per block).

Sprite_tm

Nice to see myy NAND reader design is useful to you guys. Also, good writeup: I knew it was possible to mount a JFFS2 image from a dump, but never did it myself.

daveman1010220

"You can get products that you apply to the pins on the chip to melt out the existing solder, but while this approach is valid, we decided to use a hot air gun to heat up the solder and take the chips out while the solder was fluid.”

Either you are having some fun with your readers, or someone is hazing you, bro. In any event, thanks for the entertaining read!

Matt_Oh

@Sprite_tm, your article is awesome and it lead me into bit-banging world. Nice work!

@Shawn Fisher, we might revise the  line soon. Thanks for nice catch!

@not important at this juncture, never realized you can actually read the vendor name from the fig4

@daveman1010220 yes, I prerefer to not mention vendor names. It is easy to figure out what product I'm talking about.

Techieee

Hi.. itssz realy a brillient move hats off to u:) 

can it possible to read all type of NAND FLASH available in market ,for say example TOSHIBHA TC58DVM series itzz 1GB memory ..... i need to Dump this working file before to begin modify ( reverse engineeering )

But this type of job i m doing with the help of UNI PROGRAMMER ,

Bu still i m trying to find eazy and cost less way to do this ....... if any one knows do reply me back 

And to be honest i m not graduated i m full hands on expirience ...in higher level repairing 

Labels
Events
June 6 - 8, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Discover 2017 Las Vegas
Join us for HPE Discover 2017 in Las Vegas. The event will be held at the Venetian | Palazzo from June 6-8, 2017.
Read more
Each Month in 2017
Software Expert Days - 2017
Join us online to talk directly with our Software experts during online Expert Days. Find information here about past, current, and upcoming Expert Da...
Read more