108758 Solutions
New Discussion

MAC address security

SOLVED
Go to solution
CityofRome
Occasional Contributor

MAC address security

Is there a way to limit and/or control what MAC addresses are allowed on my network?  Obviously, I don't want a ridiculous amount of administration.  But, I'm just not sure if there is a technology available for this that would provide some type of management.  I would like to allow only the MAC addresses of authorized devices on our main VLANs but any MAC address on our guest VLAN.  Using ACLs for hundreds of devices is obviously not going to work.

Also, I would like to configure the network so when a device connects to any switch port, the VLAN configuration of that port would automatically configure to what I have specified for that device.

Lastly, I would like to be alerted when any non-approved device is connected to our main VLANs but not when something is connected to our guest VLAN.

All of this may be pie-in-the-sky, but I thought I would at least ask.  Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: MAC address security

802.1x

yodamin

Re: MAC address security

isnt that usually controlled by dhcp server scope?

block all macs on nonguest vpn...then allow exceptions (all your nonguest hosts)..there should be a way to import....not sure..once your nonguest hosts have connected once...reserve that IP for that mac...effectively making it a "static" dhcp IP if u follow me. Dont ask me how to do it...I dont know...I just know thats what is done on the corp. network where I work.

Then on the guest network just allow everything as you would normally do.