Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another DOP issue...

Sally Devine
Frequent Advisor

Another DOP issue...

I am having another problem with DOP:
There is a privilege named 'dxsystemmessages' and a user can be setup to scan the messages file. The user can run the task, however it comes back and says no permissions to run /var/adm/messages. Would DOP not set that up? What is the point of the task 'dxsystemmessages' if you can't view the file. I suppose I can change the permissions of the file but then again, what would be the point of DOP?

Anyone else with DOP experience? It seems pretty clunky so far to me.
2 REPLIES
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Another DOP issue...

Is dxsystemmessages in the predefined DOP scripts listing, or is it just a dx that you have created a custom DOP list for. I have done a little bit of work with DOP, and quite often it seems to work better if you make your own progs,etc to go with it(I agree its a bit clunky!). What Tru64 are you running? I am on 5.1B, I can look further if we are around the same versions, otherwise there might be some differences.

Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Another DOP issue...

you need to under "Configure SystemManagement" within sysman, click modify, and then browse and choose the users you want to be able to perform system management. Once they are in this group they are also then in the SystemManagement group for DOP, and then they should be able to access /var/adm/messages, and run the dxsystemmessages, which is effectively just a tail of /var/adm/messages.

hope this helps