cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CDE login problem

CDE login problem

I have installed and set up C2 level Enhanced security on a cluster. All went well and no problem...now I am unable to login from the CDE. I get a message that says "not authorised for terminal access" when I try and log in as root. How can I fix this. I have tried looking at edauth, but don't understand what I have to do...can anybody please help me?
8 REPLIES
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

Re: CDE login problem

maybe time to read the c2 documentation. This will explain that you must configure each device (e.g. xdisplay) for access.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Ralf is correct, the information you're looking for is in the Security manual (or Security Administration for V5.1B). You will always be able to log into the console as root (whether it is serial or graphics), so you can make the necessary changes.

Ann

I cannot log in as root on the graphics console. I have been through the Security manual and nowhere can I find anything that explaines what I must do. What section is this in?

I can log in from the console, if I choose the command prompt option...
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

What version are you running? What error do you get when you try to log into the graphics console as root?

I am using Tru64 V5.1B with PK2. Everything looks normal and I can even log in as a normal user from the garphics console. But, when I try and log in as root, a window pops up that says "Not authorised for terminal access". Then another window pops up that says "Login failed" and I am back to the login window. If I however choose the option that says "Terminal Login" which is a normal text login, I can login as root - no problem. I have backed out of the C2 security and just running the basic security and I still cannot log in anymore.
Gregory Lee_1
Regular Advisor

You may want to check /etc/securettys. If this file is missing you would only be able to have root log in at the console.

Ideally for security, you would not want to allow root to remotely log in. You can still log in as a user and than su to root. This way you can better audit access to root if more than one person needs this access.

Good Luck,
Greg
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

It sounds like your graphics console is set up as a graphics terminal, not the graphics console. root should always be able to log into the console, whether it is a graphics console or not.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

first check /etc/securettys file and proper host resolution (check svc.conf and /etc/hosts, hostname command etc.)

disable C2 and check if root login works, if not configure it properly and enable c2 again.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }