5795 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Enabling SSL (port 636)

Brian Miller_9
Occasional Advisor

Re: Enabling SSL (port 636)

Michael,
You don't specifiy port 636 as part of the initial setup program. You generally need to make an initial connection to port 389 to your LDAP server, and then when asked if you want to use SSL, you will say yes.

In addition, simply copying the certs from the LDAP server is not enough. You also have to run /opt/ldapux/contrib/bin/certutil to actually import the certs to your HP-UX system. My experience is this must be done on each client system; simply copying them from one client to another won't work. When importing certs from our Novell eDirectory, I need to run both of these commands:
â /opt/ldapux/contrib/bin/certutil -N -d /etc/opt/ldapuxâ and â /opt/ldapux/contrib/bin/certutil -A -n ldap -t â TC,C,Câ -u C -d /etc/opt/ldapux -i /etc/opt/ldapux/file.derâ to get the certificates properly imported. Your specific options may vary, but the man page (located under /opt/ldapux/share/man) provides some good detail.

When the certs are properly installed, the setup program will ask if you want to use SSL (but after you have first specified a connection on port 389). After you say yes to SSL, then you are able to specify port 636.

I've attached the documentation I developed for our environment, but since it is specific for Novell eDirectory, you are likely to have to make some changes.