Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed Login Count

SR Rao
Advisor

Failed Login Count

Hi All,

On a Tru64 system with Enhanced Security installed, I have to display the no. of failed login count at the next successful login of any user. I have it enabled on a few systems as seen below (check the last line):

login: root
Password:
Last successful login for root: Tue Jul 10 12:09:31 BST 2007 on console
Last unsuccessful login for root: Thu Jul 12 05:27:39 BST 2007 on console
There have been 6 access failures for your account.

Regards.
5 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Failed Login Count

Can you describe what is the problem? It seems that you achieved what you want.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
SR Rao
Advisor

Hi Ivan,
The o/p that I have pasted above is available on a server called HRTB02. My requirement is to either replicate its settings or achive it in some other way on a system called DWP01.

HRTB02 was configured by my predecessors in this account. So I don't know how to replicate it on DWP01.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Assuming you have enabled enhanced security on your new server, copying the /etc/auth/system/default from the old to the new server should get most of the security settings transferred.
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

If you enable Enhanced Security on a system, the failed login count is shown by default. See the Security Administration manual for information on enabling Enhanced Security.

If you want to make sure that the Enhanced Security configuration on one system is the same as another, compare the contents of the default, prpasswd, devassign, and ttys databases and the matrix.conf file. See the man pages for default.4, prpasswd.4, devassign.4, ttys.4, and matrix.conf.4 for information on these databases. See the man page for edauth for information on manipulating the default, prpasswd, devassign, and ttys databases directly. These databases can also be manupulated using dxaccounts (the account manager gui).

Ann
SR Rao
Advisor

Could it be the case that the system displays the failed login count by default in v5.x and doesnt display in v4.x??

Cheers.