1753701 Members
4930 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Getty Dialup warning message

David Land
Frequent Advisor

Getty Dialup warning message

Hi, I want to setup a hacker warning message for my modem login. I would like to have a message appear on the screen before the login
prompt when someone makes a connection to my modem.

I know that I could write a short message within the /etc/gettydefs file but it does not really suit my needs.

Is there another file that I can use for my warning message?
8 REPLIES 8
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Have you tried /etc/issue

Hope this helps.

regds
David Land
Frequent Advisor

I have looked at the /etc/issue file but I believe it is only used for the console.

How do you use it for the modem?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The contents of /etc/issue will be sent to any tty port running getty.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
David Land
Frequent Advisor

I checked again my /etc/issue file and placed a test message into it. I see that the message still did not display when I dialed my modem. I did see that the test message appeared on my console screen.

I also noticed within my inittab file that the modem line contains uugetty instead of getty. I was not sure if that would be the cause.

Is there some sort of command options that I have to set within the inittab file for it to use the /etc/issue file?
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Interesting the files section of uugetty mentions /etc/issue leading one to think that /etc/issue is read. You only need to be using uugetty if you are using this port as an outgoing and incoming modem. If this is incoming only, then getty is a better choice.
Sanjay_6
Honored Contributor

Hi David,

uugetty does not source /etc/issue. Can you use getty instead of uugetty in the inittab file for this modem line.

Hope this helps.

Regds
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Again, the better answer for this if it is incoming only is to change your /etc/inittab to use getty and issue an init q command BUT a "strings uugetty" command does display "/etc/issue" which strongly indicates that /etc/issue is read if available. I suspect that what is happening is that you need to issue several CR's so that uugetty properly recognizes an incoming connection.
David Land
Frequent Advisor

The only problem is, I need this modem to have dial out access. I plan to use it for dial in as well as dial out. I tested it for just dial in and sure enough the test message in the /etc/issue file did appear but it does not appear when the modem is set for dial out.

What is another way that I can issue a message for the modem that is set for dial out and dial in?