1751790 Members
4660 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Unix ping

ahmede

HP Unix ping

I'm not a server guy so I do not know much about HP unix machine. I have a problem with one HP unix machine, we have several servers on the same subnet (Windows, linux and this machine). We use these servers to monitor some of our remote customers, the problem is, we can access(Ping, telnet, ssh and snmp) one of those customers from all other servers on this subnet but not from this HP machine. The traceroute from all the servers including the HP one is identical. (We can not see the traceroute all teh way becuase of pix firewall in between are blocking the traceroute). Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks for help..
5 REPLIES 5
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Hi,
and welcome to the forums !

If your problem server (serverA) can get the address of the target server (ServerB) resolved, but no response comes back from serverB, I would suspect a firewall stop.

Can you ping/telnet etc from serverB to serverA ?

Please also read:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33 on how to reward any useful answers given to your questions.
Tommy_6
Regular Advisor

Let me get this straight, you have a bunch of servers on one subnet that can access the remote customer. But the HP system cannot access the remote customer. If the firewall is not the issue, answer these questiones. Can the HP system access the other systems on the subnet? Do you have a default gateway setup on the network card(netstat -rn)? Hope this helps.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

This could be a firewall mis-configuration.

The fact that other machines in the same subnet can monitor this customer won't prove anything.

The firewall rules for monitoring might have been done on a per-host basis, and the IP address of the HP-UX has been missed or accidentally deleted from the firewall configuration.

Identical traceroute up to the firewall suggests that the HP-UX server's own network settings are probably OK.

If you can get confirmation that the packets are reaching the firewall and are correctly addressed at that point, you know the problem is not with the HP-UX. The firewall admin could also tell whether the packets are going through or if the firewall drops the packets right there.

If all this is OK, the next questions will be: does the firewall see the responses from the customer machines and does it allow them to reach your server?
MK
Biswajit Tripathy
Honored Contributor

Enable the firewall log first. Try accessing the
customer system from the HP box and see if
your firewall logging these connection attempts.
If not, could be a problem with the routing
configuration on the HP box. If the firewall log
shows the out-going connection attempts from
HP box, then check the log again to see if you
have incoming replies from the customer site.

- Biswajit
:-)
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Ahmede,
how are you getting on with this problem ?
If you got the answers you needed, could you please complete the thread by awarding points to helpful answers and summarising the solution for you.

This will help resolution of similar problems in the future.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33 shows how to reward any useful answers given to your questions.