Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid root entry in /etc/passwd

Qing Zhu
Advisor

Invalid root entry in /etc/passwd

Hi,
I used commands "rcmgr set SECURE_CONSOLE YES"
"rcmgr -n 0 set SECURITY ENHANCED" to force a passwd to be required in single-user mode. It worked fine. Then I 'dd' the whole disk to another one. When booting the cloned disk into single-user mode, it shows "invalid root entry in /etc/passwd" and logon as root without asking for passwd. I checked the root entry, it appears okay to me, also no problem at all when logon as root in graphic mode.
I tried to seconfig security under sysman, but it doesnt work. Could anybody help me out of this?

Thanks,
Qing
3 REPLIES
Qing Zhu
Advisor

Re: Invalid root entry in /etc/passwd

I fixed it.
It's because SECURITY="ENHANCED" is missing from /etc/rc.config. I guess sulogin assumes it to be base seruity and got that error.

Thanks.
Ralf Puchner
Honored Contributor

the named variable will be set automatically if using the supported setup tool secconfig or sms station.
Help() { FirstReadManual(urgently); Go_to_it;; }
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

Ralf, that's not true in this specific case. The sulogin command (to require the root password for single user mode) can only be set by setting the SECURE_CONSOLE runtime configuration variable via rcmgr, there isn't a sysman option to set it. There's also a bug in sulogin for V5.* (fixed in the current or next patch kit, I forget which) where sulogin is only looking in /etc/rc.config file for the SECURITY variable, not the /etc/rc.config.common file where the SECURITY variable is currently set by secconfig. So, Qing is right that he needed to set the SECURITY variable in /etc/rc.config in order for this to work. What puzzles me is that the SECURITY variable wasn't in the copy of the /etc/rc.config file made by dd. /etc/rc.config is a cdsl, perhaps the dd command doesn't copy cdsls correctly?

Ann