6158 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OPEN VMS-TCP-lOG

puji
Occasional Advisor

OPEN VMS-TCP-lOG

hi friends,

I need tcp-log information,where it is store .

Pls update the this location path.

Thank you
Puji
6 REPLIES 6
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

could you post up details of the os and tcpip versions involved please, what is the nature of the problem you are getting ?

hth

Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

In general, the lolgfiles are written into the service├Е login directory; these are usually locates somewhere on the system disk, so look on SYS$SYSDEVICE:[000000...]TCPIP$.DIR where is the service whose logs you want to examine. For instance SMTP, search for SYS$SYSDEVICE:[000000...]TCPIP$SMTP.DIR. SOme will be straight on the systemdisk, others are node specific (and reside in [SYS0, SYS1 and so on).
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
puji
Occasional Advisor

dear hth,

We are used openvms 8.3 and tpcip version 5.6-9.

Some remote end users session is hanging that time we can able to reach our Router and terminal server.They can work after logout the session.

we have to find out why it is hanging?.

and also try to take tcp log in our source device but we can't take from terminal server.any options is available according to the session(tcp related) information.

I think that log will help to find the issue.

Thank you
puji
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

how are your end users logging in to your system , using telnet / ssh or other means, where does the terminal server fit into this ?
do they hang on initial access attempt or whilst they are using it ?
what is it that they are trying to open - command line / character cell interface / gui ?
how reliable are the network links to these remote users ?
are there any recent changes that have been made ?
what do you mean by source device ?

cdan
Frequent Advisor

On terminal server side:

If by "logout the session" you mean logout the user's port on the terminal server, the error could be happening before tcpip, on the serial connection. In this case you would want to check the error counters on the terminal server. There are no logs there, but if you find some "port framing errors" then the cause is probably the terminal server or cabling and not the OpenVMS server.
The command may vary depending on the type of terminal server, on a typical decserver (like DS700) would be
>show server status or
>show server/count and also
>show port "nr" status.
Play with help to find the right commands, since I'm telling from my "volatile" memory:)

On OpenVMS server side:

You can use tcpdump or socket_trace as described here:
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732final/6631/6631pro_003.html#call_011

However, if the sessions are "hanged" and not disconnected automatically, I would search more on the terminal server side.
KARTHIK_12
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mark,

1.They are using telnet

2.They are hangin while use not heppend at initial attempt.

3.They are using commend line.

4.They are connected with 2mbps direct link.

5.We have not done any changes.

6.I call the terminal service is SOURCE DEVICE.

Dear CDAN,

Thanks for your information.I am try to go with your advice.

Thank you
Puji