tsunix-pdm-1
Advisor

Passwd aging per user - HP-UX 11.31

Hi,

I've set security policies in "/etc/default/security":

PASSWORD_MAXDAYS=90
PASSWORD_MINDAYS=20
PASSWORD_WARNDAYS=15

and I want some users don't be affected by these settings. So I remove the "Password aging" (through smh or command line) and it works. But everytime the users change their passwords, the password aging is applied again. Is this the normal or expected behavior? Is there any way to fix it to permanently disable the password aging only in a given user?

Best Regards,

5 REPLIES 5
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Password aging per user - HP-UX 11.31

Are you using standard or trusted mode?

tsunix-pdm-1
Advisor

Re: Password aging per user - HP-UX 11.31

Standard mode (/etc/shadow not /tcb).

Chirag Parikh
Frequent Advisor

Re: Passwd aging per user - HP-UX 11.31

Hi,

If you want to make exceptions for few users in standard mode then you may use "password -x 1 username"

where 1=number of days in which the user account should get locked.

In trusted mode, to set such policy for specific user please use "/usr/lbin/modprpw тАУl тАУm mintm=0 exptm=0 lftm=0 expwarn=0 username"

Hope this will help you on your query asked.

Thanks & Regards,

Chirag Parikh

tsunix-pdm-1
Advisor

Hi,

As I've said, I've managed to disable password aging for certain users. The problem is every time one of such users change its password, the password aging is applied again. And the system is not trusted. Please, take a time to read my first post.

Regards,

tsunix-pdm-1
Advisor
Solution

Hi,

As I suppossed, there is no way to disable these settings per user. Each time a user change its password, the settings in /etc/default/security are re-applied. And for account lifetime, it cannot be disabled with userdbset.

Regards,