Operating System - HP-UX
1753691 Members
5739 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problem with using PAM module in HP-UX 11.0

Mark Giuffrida

Problem with using PAM module in HP-UX 11.0

I am compiling a home grown PAM module that works on HP-UX 10.20 already. When I try to use it, I get a syslog message right away that says:
load_modules: can not open module ...

The flags used in the compile and link are basically these:

cc -Aa +z -O +DAportable
ld -b -o pam_caen.so.1 +b/usr/lib ... -lV3

The module exists, is installed in the right path, etc. Can anyone tell me what the problem is. It must be something very basic.
12 REPLIES 12
Stephane Vinsot
Advisor

Re: Problem with using PAM module in HP-UX 11.0

I've got the same problem. It seems to be due to dependencies of the pam module library:

- I built a first PAM module doing nothing but writting in the syslog. I had no problems.
- Then i add a function needing the use of external shared libraries. In this case i have the same error "Can't load module...".

I tried to link dynamically the external shared libraries (using shl_load in my module code). Now the PAM is able to load the module, but i still have the following problems:
- My module library is able to find the external dependencies ONLY if i put the hard-coded full path of this library. The pam module doesn't use the SHLIB_PATH define and the path given with the +b option while linking it.
- If the dependency library has its own dependencies, it won't be able to find the libraries, even with the SHLIB_PATH defined.

Does Anyone have an idea ?

Stephane VINSOT
ENATEL - Security Systems
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

I saw the following which may be relevant ?

When linking a shared object for use as a PAM module, if linking against static libraries -Bsymbolic may be used to force needed symbols to
be included in the module at link time.
Alex Glennie
Honored Contributor

I saw the following which may be relevant ?

When linking a shared object for use as a PAM module, if linking against static libraries -Bsymbolic may be used to force needed symbols to
be included in the module at link time.
Stephane Vinsot
Advisor

The problem is that i have no choice. I only have the security system vendor's static libraries to build my module.

keep trying ;)
Stephane Vinsot
Advisor

oops...

Of course i meant i only have the SHARED version of the security system vendor's library
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Look for the equivalent HPUX 11 patches of these 10.20 patches PHCO_20441 and PHSS_20607 and their dependencies.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Look for the equivalent HPUX 11 patches of these 10.20 patches PHCO_20441 and PHSS_20607 and their dependencies. Install them and relink your kernel.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Look for the equivalent HPUX 11 patches of these 10.20 patches PHCO_20441 and PHSS_20607 and their dependencies. Install them and relink your kernel.
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor