4965 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

SFTP Limiting Access using chroot

Taskin Saif_1
Occasional Contributor

SFTP Limiting Access using chroot

Folks,

I have a server running HPUX 11i v1 and have installed all required software to get SSH and SFTP working. What I specifically need is for vendors to be able to SFTP price lists to it. I have created a user account and set the home dirctory to where I want the user account to default to. I have tested SFTP with a SFTP client on a windows box and can log in and I get dropped into the correct directory. The problem I have is that when I cd to an upper level directory I am allowed to go there, i.e. I can cd to root, /opt, /etc , /whatever (i can not put or get anything from there, but I am still allowed to go there and browse). I saw a few things on preventing this from happening and most refer to chroot. I read the README.hp file that supposedly explains how to configure chroot to limit a user from accessing upper level directories but it doesn't appear to work correctly. I am sure I am doing sopmething wrong simply because I don't fully understand what chroot is and how it works. Is chroot a script that runs at user logon? If so how do I implement it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 REPLY 1
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

Re: SFTP Limiting Access using chroot

Hi Saif

you can read this for vhroot concept

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails-intro.html
a warrior never quits