1748015 Members
4264 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SSH base prioritty

abrsvc
Respected Contributor

I would have to agree with Hoff and others here.  If you are attempting to address performance problems with priority changes, there are other things that should be done.  I personally have seen run-away processes appear to be OK, but consume major portions of CPU time and significantly impact overall performance.  Sometimes, this can be seen as a complete system hang, others just slow response.  More information is required here.  I would suggest a more detailed performance evaluation be done.  Use Monitor to see the processes consuming the majority of CPU and/or direct I/O.  These are the areas most likely to hit bottlenecks.  Also, seeing ODBC timeouts can be a result of network issues rather than the machine itself.  Check into that as well.  Perhaps you are hitting a limit of the network card? (Not likely, but check anyway.)

Dan

Paul Coviello
Frequent Advisor

thanks everyone. with the ODBC timeouts there is nothing from a VMS point of you that any thing is wrong, it performs very well. what we see is that the application/cache is slower than mollases. and I do have a nagios graph of the network to the box and it too isn't showing anything out of the ordinary, I also have T4 running and have not been able to discern any issues. most of the time these happen tuesday mornings which is really wierd. wireshark just mentions disconnects.

yes I realize cache isn't perfect and we can have runaway processes.

the system for the most part operates at 1200% during business hours. 12 cpu RX8640

it's frustrating not to be able to find anything... yes we have logged cases with Intersystems and HP to help and they too can not locate anything.

Paul

Hoff
Honored Contributor

If that's 1200% of mostly-user-mode activity, then you probably need a bigger Integrity, a processor upgrade, or you need to reduce the application load at peak times, or you'll want to redistribute the load across servers.

That's also a cell-based box, so there can also arise issues around locality of memory access; see the RAD features of OpenVMS.

You can also investigate where the CPU time is going for your own tools that are active and consuming CPU.  

With packaged applications or without access to the application source code, that investigation of CPU use usually involves the vendor(s).

Given that box is an Itanium, also take a look around for alignment faults, as well.  Alignment faults are very, very expensive on Itanium.  A few faults can be ignored, but a fault-blizzard will vaporize performance.