Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Shell problem...

aique
Frequent Advisor

Secure Shell problem...

Hi,
I installed Tru64 Unix Version 5.1B with patch kit 5. Secure Shell was installed on it by default. Now i can logon to the machine using SSH remotely through one workstation and with root user only. no other user and host can log on to it in any way.
Please help me to rectify this problem.
Thanks.
6 REPLIES
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Re: Secure Shell problem...

Do you have any error message?

What's logged to /var/adm/syslog.dated/current/auth.log?
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

On the host that you're using to try to log onto this server check the man page for ssh to determine how to increase the debug level when you use ssh.

For ssh.com it's the -d # option where # is 0-99. 2 is the default.
For OpenSSH it's the -v option. The more -v's you have (up to 3) the more verbose.

This should give you more information about why it fails.

On the server end you could stop sshd (# /sbin/init.d/sshd stop) and then run it manually with the -d option to see why it's not accepting the login. If you run it manually, remember that it'll terminate after one login attempt. You'll have to '# /sbin/init.d/sshd start' to get back to normal.

Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
aique
Frequent Advisor

Hi Ivan Ferriera,

When i apply user name and password it displays following message and exits.

"Too many users logged on already".

Thanks.
Aco Blazeski
Regular Advisor

Hi Abdul,

I think that you need to load licences for Tru64, i.e. this is not a SSH problem.
Use the lmf utility, or you can do it via CDE.

Regards
Victor Semaska_3
Esteemed Contributor

Abdul,

Aco is right. You either don't have the OSF-BASE license installed/enabled or not enough. You need one per processor.

Vic
There are 10 kinds of people, one that understands binary and one that doesn't.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

I think that it's the OSF-USR license that has to be loaded. Anyway, it seems a problem with licenses.

Please post the output of lmf list.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?