New Discussion юеВ

Re: SecureID with FTP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Eric Guerizec
Frequent Advisor

SecureID with FTP

Hello
Where I can found ftp server compatible with SecureID? SecureID authentication with ProFTP is not supported yet. But is it supported with Wu-ftp???
8 REPLIES 8
Martin Burnett_2
Trusted Contributor

Hello Eric,

I am not certain but I do not think that SecureID works with WU-FTP. If you are looking for a secure ftp, the OpenSSH (secure shell) contains an sftp (secure ftp) daemon that works within ssh.

Check these web sites:

http://www.hpcvl.org/faqs/ssh_help.html

http://www.ssh.com/products/ssh/win-administrator31/SFTP_Server.html

http://www.openssh.com/

Martin
Darrell Allen
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

I don't know the particulars but I do know that at a previous site we used SecureID with ACE/Server and Check Point Software FireWall-1 to authenticate ftp to an HPUX box running the standard ftpd. The ACE/Server performed the SecureID authentication.

Darrell
"What, Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman (Mad Magazine)
Knut Eckstein
Advisor

Hi,

RSA supplies you with a wu-ftpd version 2.4, where they added SecurID support.
It's copied to your machine in ace/prog/wuftp/docs/examples when you install the Unix agent. My documentation says HP-UX 10.20 and 11.0 are supported.

Have fun,

Knut

PS: In the Checkpoint example mentioned above, I think the authentication is performed at the FW in the ftp proxy. Is that right?
Eric Guerizec
Frequent Advisor

yes Knut, I have the unix agent installed but with wu-ftpd version 2.3. I'm looking for a more recent ftpd version. Do you know where I can find wu-ftpd version 2.4 with SecureID support? I ask the question to the ACE/Server administrator but he can't help me.

Eric
Knut Eckstein
Advisor

Eric,

AFAIK, you would not get
anything newer that 2.4, because I have my information from my latest RSA SecurID ACE Server 5.0 CD-ROM. There's a subdirectory for the Unix agents and for the documentation. In the documentation I found a file called wuftp-doc.pdf. There the version number 2.4 and the installation procedure is mentioned. As 5.0 is the latest CD to my knowledge, that's what you would have to live with, unless your admin would be able to give you the email address of his RSA support POC, assuming you have a support contract. I really can't speak for RSA but maybe they could provide you with a newer/beta version if you made clear why you would need a version > 2.4

In general, it's proprietary technology, so the standard way to get it implemented is through them. Alternatively you could buy their SD kit and hack it into your ftp server of choice. That would of course be coupled to an NDA, so you won't be able to put your work on the Internet.

They now have also released a (presumably binary) agent for Linux, I'd love to see one for Apache...

Hope that helps,

Knut
Knut Eckstein
Advisor

Eric,

sorry for my long rant, I initially misread your 2.4 for 2.5, that's why I was most probably explaining more that you wanted to read :-)

Knut
Eric Guerizec
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Knut

I find some wu-ftp daemons working with SecurID in our archive. Here is the first line when I try to connect to the server :

220 my_server FTP server (Version wu-2.4(SecurID)) ready.

220 my_server FTP server (Version wu-2.4.1(SecurID cert patch)) ready.
Which is the good one?

Eric

Knut Eckstein
Advisor
Solution

The latter one. I was actually hoping for someting like this, as 2.4 is not the most current version of wu-ftpd. So it looks like the folks at SecurID do incorporate security fixes...

Have fun,

Knut