1753948 Members
7466 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Security Audit-Services running and their Significance

masooda
Occasional Advisor

Security Audit-Services running and their Significance

I have a few set of hp unix servers.(more than ten)Recently after a security audit,we got a report asking us to have a check on the following services:
(1)tool talk,(2)SYN-FIN,(3)cmsd,(4)llockmgr, (5)samba,(6)dtspcd,(7)identd,(8)discard,(9)ssh,(10)tftpd,(11)ntp,(12)echo and (13)RPC portmapper.
I need to know HOW to know/ HOW to find out whether these services are running in my servers or not.
Then...I need to know if a service mentioned above is running then why do I need to it let it run.

Anybody ...please suggest/answer..
Thanks
Masood.
2 REPLIES 2
john123
Trusted Contributor

Hi..,

Most of the above metioned services are started and controlled by inetd daemon.
Have look at the files /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf for the entries for this services
You can remove these services from both the files and give a SIGHUP to inetd deamon by running command inetd -c

Please be aware that some of the services mentioned in your query may be used in your environment. So take measures before disabling them.
Consider using /var/adm/inetd.sec also if required
masooda
Occasional Advisor

Hi Thanks much.
Well..I had been to /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services.
I think I found how to determine if these services are running or not.
However, I am still unable to determine if this SYN-FIN is running or not.
Will there be any daemons to be looked out for to see if these services are running or not?
Are there any daemons to be looked out for the other 12 services I mentioned in my question.