108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SekCheck evaluation of hp-ux 11.0 system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gary Mc Adam
Occasional Contributor

SekCheck evaluation of hp-ux 11.0 system

Would appreciate any comments on the system security evaluation provided by SekCheck from Deloitte and Touche.
3 REPLIES 3
Tim D Fulford
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: SekCheck evaluation of hp-ux 11.0 system

This is slightly off track, The Deloite & Touche audit that was presented to one of our customers was simply a list of "make sure" & "is xxx process secure" and so forth.

Personally I thought it was inadequate (i.e. left security loopholes) if only because it was written down and was subject to "interpretation". It certainly did not say "users passwords must be automatically changes every 90 days" or "users passwords must not be a dictonary wo0rk or ...". I thought it was simply an ill informed, non-technical effort at a security audit.

However, if there is a script I would imagine/guess it was made up of previously available scvripts such as SATAN and so forth.

Anyway that is my effordt at answering your question. Anyone else...?

Tim
-
Nick Wickens
Respected Contributor

sekcheck is basically a large script that goes through most Unix systems checking that standard Unix security procedures are being adhered to and as such is a good starting point if you have just inherited a system of "unknown quality".

Deloite Touche are my companies auditors and this check was run on our systems and the output produced is along the lines of "You have 10 users with no passwords set" and then lists the users. For me it was a good starting point for re-checking the systems and got me thinking "well why do we have such and such situation" and therefore re-questioning earlier policies and procedures to see if anything needs updating. Arguably this should be an ongoing process for any sysadmin but for small sites asuch as my own its good to get an outside view and sekcheck or similar products can provide this. In any event I think that sekcheck can be downloaded for free from their website so why not give it a go. I posted the link to the website a couple of weeks ago so just do a search for sekcheck.

Hats ? We don't need no stinkin' hats !!
triton_1

Deloitte is also our auditing company. I would like to run sekcheck so I know what I am in for when the auditors visit.

Anyone know where I can get a copy?

Andy