cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange dot files (.new

Linda Card
Frequent Advisor

Strange dot files (.new

I am trying to figure out this tru64. There are some unusual files in some directories.
/usr/adm/cron/.new...proto
/usr/adm/cron/.new..at.deny
/usr/adm/cron/.new..log
/usr/adm/cron/.new..queuedefs
/usr/adm/cron/.proto...proto
/usr/adm/cron/.proto..at.deny
/usr/adm/cron/.proto..cron.deny
/usr/adm/cron/.proto..log
/usr/adm/cron/.proto..queuedefs

What are these? Are they a hold-over from DEC? Can I delete them?

My security scan sees these .files as non-startup files and wants the perms down to 750 from current 755. I don't know what they do so I am reluctant to change them.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,
Linda
3 REPLIES
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Strange dot files (.new

Those files are left in place during the Tru64 install/upgrade process. I'd be very reluctant to muck with them for fear that subsequent upgrades would have a problem.
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

I don't know if this is documented anywhere, but in a lot of the system directories you'll see files of the form:
.new..
.proto..
.merge..
These files are used by the OS by the install and patch processes to baseline and modify customer configurable system files. There have also been a few times where I've found them handy as well :)

A .proto.. is a snapshot of at the time the system is installed, before any customizations you might have made. A .new.. is the same as the .proto.., or if there have been patches to , it is what the patched looks like without any of your customizations. The .merge.. is a script that the system runs at patch time to take the customized on your system and add the changes made by the patch (hopefully without changing the customizations that you have made).

I don't see any reason why these files would need to have permissions of 755, since they are only used by install and patch processes, unless the install and patch processes expect them to have the same permissions as the base file. I don't see any reason that you can't change the permissions, but to be conservative, if you change them I'd keep track of which files you changed and change them back before installing patches.

Ann

Linda Card
Frequent Advisor

Thank you. I will change those perms and keep track of the originals.