Re: Trustworthy ssh clients for Windoze

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Trustworthy ssh clients for Windoze

Hello Paranoiacs,

I want to close down the telnet and rlogin daemons on our servers since we have
running the secure shell as a replacement for those.
(BTW, would it suffice to comment the respective daemon lines in inetd.conf and
afterwards send a SIGHUP to the PID of inetd to achieve this?)
Annoyingly, we do have some clients (viz. SAP DBAs) who still need the telnet or
ftp services, because they are bound to NT PCs that usually run a so called SAPGUI.
So before shutting down these services I have to supply them with some sort of substitute.
Therefore I followed the links from the OpenSsh's website to some Win32 clients.
http://www.openssh.com/windows.html
One of the promoted Win32 client that appeals to me is called Telneat.
Has anyone experience with this program?
Is it safe to use, or does one have to be afraid of any backdoors?

Rgrds
Ralph
Madness, thy name is system administration
3 REPLIES 3
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ralph:

Depending on how much you have to spend (and if you want support or not) I would suggest that you purchase the datafellows ssh client for windows - I found it to be very stable and well supported - plus it comes with sftp and scp clients which should do nicely for your DBAs to transfer their files over (the latest version has a gui-based sftp)

Yes, after commenting out telnet and ftp from /etc/inetd.conf you would have to restart inetd with
# inetd -c

also, if you are really paranoid, you might want to remove the /usr/lbin/telnetd and /usr/lbin/ftpd to ensure that there is no chance of it being started up by anyone.

Also, you can comment out the entry for ftp and telnet in the /etc/services file.
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
Ralph Grothe
Honored Contributor

Hello Kofi,

I have to apologize for my late response but I haven't been even able to come back to this forum as the webserver always rejeted me. :-(
(see my today's posting in the General section)

Even now, though logged in, I cannot assign you the 10 points I wanted to, since the webserver isn't sending me the form with the pull down menu input field.

Your suggestion of a commercial ssh client for Win32 has been most welcome, and I will be querying a search engine for datafellows.

Madness, thy name is system administration
June Hou
Occasional Advisor

Van Dyke CRT is my favorite terminal emulator overall, and they have an SSH-enabled version called "Secure CRT". http://www.vandyke.com/

-cheers, Craig S. Bell
"Nothing works, and nobody cares." -Woody Allen