New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to Login in newly installed HP-UX 11.23 system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aamir Majeed
Advisor

Unable to Login in newly installed HP-UX 11.23 system

Hi There,
I have instlled HP-UX 11.23 on rx6600 system. When I tried to login in the system after installation, system was not accepting root password. I thought it might be some typo while setting password using set_parms. So, i rebooted the system into single-user mode and reset password. Now I can log-into system properly but after some time facing same previous issue.

But now i am getting following error message "Account is disabled - see Account Administrator". Please see attached screen shot for details.
7 REPLIES 7
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

>> after some time facing same previous issue.

Is it connected to network and the name or IP resolving to any previously known servers ? What if anybody try to intrude with the wrong root password ? Have you checked syslog to find out any unusual activity ?
Regards
Shibin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Have you looked at any remsh login failures by scripts that may disable the login?
Have you looked in your /var/adm/btmps file using lastb(1)?
Any "#" or "@" in the password?
Aamir Majeed
Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for response, as I am totally stuck and unable to login into system therefore cannot access log files, But password does contain "@" symbol.

Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>But password does contain "@" symbol.

Read the warning about including "#" and "@" in your password.
If it fails, try quoting it: abc\@def
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

As Dennis mentions, there are two character that you cannot use in passwords without special handling and the backspace key will not erase characters when typing a password. This is the default setting for the terminal driver and while it can be changed, it is a better practice for all users to avoid special characters in passwords. The reason is that some will work OK on Windows but not HP-UX while other special characters work OK on HP-UX but not Windows.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>Bill: it is a better practice for all users to avoid special characters in passwords.

What's worse is it depends when and where you type your password.
There's ftp, rlogin, screen locks, the initial login and then su. Some may or may not need that quote.
Shibin_2
Honored Contributor

Before you reset the password, have you had look at the logs, what trigger this root account to be blocked ? use lastb, check syslog, sulog etc.
Regards
Shibin