cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auditd

Norman O'Brien
Occasional Visitor

auditd

I am learning a Dec Alpha running Digital Unix 4.0. When I try to start auditing by going thru the set up and typing auditd nothing happens. I check the auditd_cons file and its states only connection refused.
8 REPLIES
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Re: auditd

Hi Norman,

what 4.0 release and what patch kit are you running?

greetings,

Michael
Norman O'Brien
Occasional Visitor

version 4.0d no patch kits
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

4.0d is pretty much outdated. If you want to learn something get 5.1b
There were 9 patchkits for 4.0d. Who knows what all has been corrected over time.
Any reason for 4.0d?

greetings,

Michael
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

For any version in order to use the audit subsystem you have to have built the kernel with the audit subsystem. Add a line with:
options DEC_AUDIT
to your system configuration file and rebuild the kernel. Reboot with the new kernel and try it again.

Ann
Norman O'Brien
Occasional Visitor

Unfortunately the system cannot be upgraded it is a test system and must match what is being used in production. I would love to update but my hands are tied.

I will try rebuilding the kernel with DEC AUDIT added and let you know the results.

Thankyou both for your timely response it is much appreciated.
Norman O'Brien
Occasional Visitor

I have to explain that I am very new to this system crossing over from a total window enviroment and education so please excuse the dumb questions, but how exactly do I find and edit the system configuration file. I have found sys config files in /etc and /sbin the sbin sys config appears to be the correct one
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Hi,

there are no dump questions.
You find the config file in /sys/conf
It is the file with the same name as hostname in capital letters.
Add the line among the options lines.
Then use doconfig to build a new kernel.
When done make backup copy of old vmunix and copy new vmunix to its place and reboot.
That's it.

greetings,

Michael
Norman O'Brien
Occasional Visitor

I have gotten the Audit program up and running thank you both for your assistance. Ann your advice did the trick. Michael thanks for the directions. I will say that coming over to Unix, Solaris 2.6 and 9 along with the Digital unix has been somewhat a mixed bag, sometimes I long for the ease of Windows, but not the problems..