Did you mean: 

dxaccounts Crashing V5.1A Alpha Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
kmcgrath
Occasional Advisor

dxaccounts Crashing V5.1A Alpha Server

Howdy,

While attempting to enable C2 security on my system I discovered that the dxaccounts GUI is randomly crashing and rebooting my Alpha server. Even when I went back to BASE security setting the account manager GUI is still very unstable and I get random reboots while using the tool.

I'm not sure how to proceed at this point with troubleshooting as I'm of the opinion that the Account Manager CDE GUI may have been broke before I started the C2 upgrade work.

Any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Selah! HST RIP 2/20/05 Mahalo Hunter
9 REPLIES
Venkatesh BL
Honored Contributor

Re: dxaccounts Crashing V5.1A Alpha Server

Hi,

What is the OS version and patch version that you are running?

System configuration?

Can you mention some specific tasks that lead to crash?

Are any other applications behaving strange?
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Kevin,

this is hard to believe that dxaccount should be primarily responsible for that. A crash should leave traces in messages, binary errorlog or on console. Set auto_action to halt and look what is on the console. Are crash dumps created?

greetings,

Michael
kmcgrath
Occasional Advisor

dupatch -track -type kit

Gathering details of relevant patches, this may take a bit of time

Patches installed on the system came from following patch kits:
--------------------------------------------------------------

- T64V51AB03AS0003-20020827 OSF520

-----
Howdy,

My Tru64 V5.1A system's patch info is above.

The hardware is a Alphaserver DS20E

Other recent strange things happening on the system:

1) The CDE's File Manager GUI no longer defaults to the "/" partition when logged into the console as root. I can't even force it to go there manually.

2) The "System Info" GUI automatically closes itself after about 10 secs.

3) The /usr partition is now 99% full mostly caused, I think?, by numerous crash dump files in the /var/adm/crash location.

This dxaccounts reboot problem first appeared about three weeks ago when we assigned a password to a vendor account that had none and then tried to reset it back to nopassword using dxaccounts and the system would crash immediately. My theory at that time was that maybe because so few people ever try to setup accounts with no passwords that maybe this was an old problem that had never been noticed.

Yesterday's problems using dxaccounts seem to happen in a kinda/sorta random manner when you do various taks from within the GUI i.e. just type anything in the account "location" field and hit the Apply button and the system immediately crashes but other tasks may take without a crash but I'm done testing for now as the system appears to be so unstable.

FWIW, I've attached the lastest "crash-data" file. I'm a real newbie regarding crash analysis on Tru64 systems so any other tips on what & where to look will be appreciated.

Bottom line is this system's OS fubar or can I possibly fix it without doing a re-install?

Thanks to all for the responses
Michael Schulte zur Sur
Honored Contributor

Kevin,

move the files in /var/adm/crash except for bounds to another place to free up the space.
It won't do you good if /usr gets full during execution.
Update to patch kit 6. Patch kit is old.

greetings,

Michael
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

A quick look at your crash reveals that the culprit is the routine "my_proplist_syscall" from file (partial) "_DECUNIX/SEOS_realpath.c". This is NOT part of the standard Tru64 UNIX OS. You've probably got a 3rd party device driver loaded on the system that's causing the problem.

Ann
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

As to why this happened when you enabled Enhanced Security, you probably Enabled ACLs when you enabled Enhanced Security (use "sysconfig -q sec" to see if ACLs are enabled, "man ACL" for information on ACLs). Since the problems didn't stop when you disabled Enhanced Security, you probably didn't disable ACLs when you disabled enhanced Security.

Ann
kmcgrath
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

A quick look at your crash reveals that the culprit is the routine "my_proplist_syscall" from file (partial) "_DECUNIX/SEOS_realpath.c". This is NOT part of the standard Tru64 UNIX OS. You've probably got a 3rd party device driver loaded on the system that's causing the problem.

Ann
-----
Howdy Ann,

Sorry for the delay in responding but you were right on with your diagnoses and our vendor instructed us in how to disable some "account management" software they had installed on our machine that was supposed to protect their source code from prying eyes.

Regards,
Kevin
kmcgrath
Occasional Advisor

As to why this happened when you enabled Enhanced Security, you probably Enabled ACLs when you enabled Enhanced Security (use "sysconfig -q sec" to see if ACLs are enabled, "man ACL" for information on ACLs). Since the problems didn't stop when you disabled Enhanced Security, you probably didn't disable ACLs when you disabled enhanced Security.

Ann
-----
# sysconfig -q sec
sec:
acl_mode = disable
audit_buffer_size = 16
audit_site_events = 64
nfs_flatten_mode = 0
ufs_sec_proplist_max_entry = 1548
ufs_proplist_max_entry = 8192
restricted_symlink_follow = 0
restricted_hardlink_creat = 0
restricted_fifo_open = 0
-----
Howdy Again,

I checked the acl settings on my machine with the above results. I don't remember explicitly enabling acl's or then having to disable them but the point may be moot re: the other problem that was detected?

Thanks,
Kevin
Ann Majeske
Honored Contributor

The reasoning behind thinking that ACLs might be involved is that Tru64 ACLs are stored in the property list and the crash involved the property list code. So, I didn't think that the ACL code caused your problem, but that enabling ACLs would make it more likely to happen. There are other uses of property lists on the system, so the problem still could have occured even if you didn't enable ACLs when you enabled Enhanced Security.

Ann