New Discussion юеВ

Re: getprpw and SAM

Elena Leontieva
Esteemed Contributor

getprpw and SAM

Hi,

When I run
/usr/lbin/getprpw -l -r -m exptm enleonti

I am getting -1 i.e this field does not exist in a database, but the SAM shows 90 days. Why the command does not work?
HP-UX 11.23 ia64

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

The getprpw command is intended for SAM use only. It's mentioned in the man page.

You can try to without "-m" option to see if it give you all the parameters values.
Elena Leontieva
Esteemed Contributor

I see.. But the security audit wants me to run this command. Also, on the other server (HP-UX 11.11) I get the valid output.
John McWilliams_1
Frequent Advisor

I had this same problem with a different parameter so I went into SAM, changed the value and confirmed the new value with getprpw. I then went back into SAM and changed it back to the one I wanted. I ran getprpw adain and it was then showing the correct value.

Cheers John
David Child_1
Honored Contributor

Hello Elena,

Actually the '-1' means that your account is using the "default" value set for exptm. The default is kept in /tcb/files/auth/system/default. The field in this file is 'u_exp'.

u_exp is in seconds I believe so for example;

u_exp#7776000 = (((7776000 / 60)/60)/24) = 90 days.

As already mentioned, these tools are really only supported via SAM. We use them all the time in scripts, but it's unsupported.

David
David Child_1
Honored Contributor

Sorry, forgot to mention that you can use 'man modprpw' for information on what parameters map to what database fields. Example;

exptm=value database u_exp=(value*86400).

Set password expiration time interval (days).
0 = expired. Same as non-trusted mode
maximum time.

It says here that u_exp=(value*86400). The value is your 'days'. So 90*86400=7776000. That's a bit easier to work with so just take your u_exp and divide by 86400 to get the number of days.

There is also additional information in the prpwd man page.

David