Operating System - HP-UX
1753411 Members
7308 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

how to block routing between two interfaces in a HPUX machine??

SOLVED
Go to solution
sangy

how to block routing between two interfaces in a HPUX machine??

can any body help me to give me any command line using ifconfig to block routing between two interfaces of a mchine??
11 REPLIES 11
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: how to block routing between two interfaces in a HPUX machine??

TTr
Honored Contributor

I think you want to prevent the HP-UX machine from becoming a bridge between the two networks that it is connected to.

You need to set up the "ip_strong_es_model" to "1" using ndd by running it manually
ndd -set /dev/ip ip_strong_es_model 1
or puting it in the nddconf startup file
TRANSPORT_NAME[x]=ip
NDD_NAME[x]=ip_strong_es_model
NDD_VALUE[x]=1

where [x] is the next index value of the settings in the nddconf file.
sangy

ok i will make it clear-
i want to disable routing between two interfaces in a server. how can i do it??
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

By default, you can not (or more like "should not") put the two interfaces on the same subnet to start with. If the two interfaces are in two different subnets, they do not talk to each other, unless you specifically created a route from one interface to the other.

Tell us what exactly you are trying to do, or what is happening that you want to prevent from happening, instead of "how can I block routing" question and you will get more meaningful answers.

How is "...disable routing between two interfaces..." clearer than "...block routing between two interfaces..."?
You need to be more specific with an example. Do you want to prevent traffic that comes in to one interface from going out the other interface?
rick jones
Honored Contributor

It would indeed be good to get further details on what the author seeks. That said, some speculation:

If you want to make sure that an HP-UX system will not behave as an IP router, then use ndd to set ip_forwarding (and perhaps ipv6_forwarding) to zero with ndd:

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_forwarding 0

If you want that to persist across reboots you will need to edit:

/etc/rc.config.d/nddconf

The ip_strong_es_model setting does something else. When set to 1 it will say that the system should only accept traffic to a given IP via the interface to which that IP was assigned. The default is for the system to accept traffic for any of its IP addresses on any of its interfaces.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Walt Watson
Advisor

If they are on different network IP ranges, make sure they go to different gateways.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish - having the IP's, netmasks, and gateways you're working with would assist in a better answer.

Usually if on 2 IP ranges, the problem is more like how do you get one to skip the default gateway.
sangy

Ttr is spot on ...yes i want to block routing between interfaces
sangy

yes TTr i wanna block traffic between two interfaces