108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

named logs "Response from Unexpected Source" in /var/adm/syslog/daemon.log

SOLVED
Go to solution
HPP
Regular Advisor

named logs "Response from Unexpected Source" in /var/adm/syslog/daemon.log

On our DNS server, i am seeing the following message in /var/adm/syslog/daemon.log "Nov 8 22:45:59 test named[690]: Response from unexpected source ([XX.XX.XX.XX].53).
Note: XX.XX.XX.XX is the IP address of remote machine.
Is this a security issue? Since i am seeing that somebody is trying to telnet to port 53(Which designated port for DNS). If it is a security issue, what is the solution?

Thanks in advance
Be Teachable
6 REPLIES 6
Rainer_1
Honored Contributor

Re: named logs "Response from Unexpected Source" in /var/adm/syslog/daemon.log

find the pid from named, kill -SIGUSR1
this turns on debugging
look then at /var/tmp/named.run for more information
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor
Solution

Block telnet services for that ip address through /var/adm/inetd.sec file and warn the user, if they are not supposed to access the server.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Lasse Knudsen
Esteemed Contributor

It *could* indicate a security problem but it is more likely that it is caused by a bad implementation of a DNS-server.

If a DNS-server has got two IP-addresses and you (your DNS-server) send a request to one IP-address the Bad implemented server could be sending out the reply on its other IP-address causing your server to generate the error as the answer came from another IP-address that it was originally sent to. A good implemented DNS-server takes care of this and sends out reply the same way the request came in.

I would not worry to much about this or you could try to track it down further using Rainer's method.
In a world without fences - who needs Gates ?
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

It would appear that an attempt at "poisoning" your name server is in progress. This is when an attacker tries to change the DNS data or spoof your dns server into believing false data! see :
http://www.securityportal.com/cover/coverstory20001002.html

The IP XX.XX.XX.XX is trying to force-feed your dns server with false dns information. That way, they can redirect the site that your users see when they attempt to connect to the spoofed site.

According to bugtraq, "As of this time you cannot protect yourself againstan attacker brute forcing the DNS ID space" http://www.nationwide.net/~aleph1/FAQ

It appears that your dns server has the latest patches and so has been able to fend off the attack, however, I would advise that you just keep an eye on what is happening to your named process:

1. run named in debug mode with :
# kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/named.pid`
(once more if you want more debug level)

2. Monitor the log file /var/tmp/named.run for more tell-tale signs!

3. If you need to turn off debugging replace -USR2 for USR1 in the kill command.

Good luck

PS. You could configure your firewall (I assume you have a firewall set up) to prevent port 53 TCP connections from outside your network (except from the root name servers or servers you trust!)
nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!
HPP
Regular Advisor

Guys,
Thanks for your quick response. I have added the IP address in inetd.sec that were found in daemon.log. I refreshed inetd daemon. I have also started debuging the for named. I am finding the IP address in named.run that were found in daemon.log. Now what should i look for in named.run that pertains to security breach?

Be Teachable
Kofi ARTHIABAH
Honored Contributor

Padmanabha:

Unless you are running named from /etc/inetd.conf (which is unlikely) then inetd.sec will not help you.

inetd.sec only protects the services that are managed by the inetd super-service. SO you can use /etc/inetd.sec to block things like telnet/ftp/remsh etc. but not services that are started independent of inetd (such as named or httpd)

A good source of information on dns security is http://www.securityfocus.com

nothing wrong with me that a few lines of code cannot fix!